PDA

View Full Version : is spelling important

nias6969
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Corrosive
10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

It is important mate (if you don't want to look like an idiot) but that is an interesting exercise...of course I could read it straight away :wink:

domedia
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Could read it as well.. surprised me

edbr
10-08-2008, 02:27 AM
gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in stattion

gh-o-ti spells 'fish'

Rob_Che
10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in stattion

gh-o-ti spells 'fish'

English is a stoopid language at times.
French is no better - "What do you mean the table is male?"

Corrosive
10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
English is a stoopid language at times.

And very hard to learn apparently.

d a v e
10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
And very hard to learn apparently.
really? not according to Bill Bryson's "the mother tongue" because even though it has many weird spellings - and some strange mixes of grammar - it's relatively free of many complications like too many cases (e.g. like in Finnish!) and of course it is everywhere in popular (and not so popular) media. (music, web, TV, business, signs, info.... )

Corrosive
10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
really? not according to Bill Bryson's "the mother tongue" because even though it has many weird spellings - and some strange mixes of grammar - it's relatively free of many complications like too many cases (e.g. like in Finnish!) and of course it is everywhere in popular (and not so popular) media. (music, web, TV, business, signs, info.... )

You are right for all those reasons. But I have heard/read that it is quite easy to pick up the basics but once you get on to a more advanced level i.e. having an 'English conversation' rather than a conversation in English (there is a difference) it starts to get really hard. Because of all the funny little 'rules'. I should have said that it is 'difficult to master' :wink:

domedia
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
All languages have tiny little rules and all languages have the difference of having a conversation and conversing in the language (I think I know what you meant Corr). English was by far the easiest one to learn for me.

"Really Hard"? :-) Look at the amount of 'cases' in the Finnish language (9?) like Dave said. German has 4 of them (Kasus).

English has only two, and the second one (dative?) isn't even used anymore in practical speak ("whom")

Corrosive
10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
All languages have tiny little rules and all languages have the difference of having a conversation and conversing in the language (I think I know what you meant Corr). English was by far the easiest one to learn for me.

"Really Hard"? :-) Look at the amount of 'cases' in the Finnish language (9?) like Dave said. German has 4 of them (Kasus).

English has only two, and the second one (dative?) isn't even used anymore in practical speak ("whom")

All points taken guys but come and have a chat with some folks round here. It ain't English like you've ever heard.

domedia
10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Dialects.. we all have them as well ;-)

Hey at least both our mother tongues are part of the Germanic language family. :)

davidj
10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
All points taken guys but come and have a chat with some folks round here. It ain't English like you've ever heard.

speak for yourself!

i speak perfectly.

Corrosive
10-08-2008, 06:45 PM
speak for yourself!

i speak perfectly.

Errr, you aren't from these parts.

davidj
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
hadaway n shite man

ya divnt speek lyk ya got a moof ful o plums

[spell checker just blew up!]

Rob_Che
10-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Corrosive is down in the South West.. scary place ;)