PDA

View Full Version : different look and speed in pc and mac

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
first when i go and search for kirazcafe.com-it will go very slow, if you will go
by http://www.kirazcafe.com it will go faster. also sometimes image disappear and sometimes it is there. I am not sure how can i fix searchable problem so it will start fast and effective... also when you already there it will go faster, but first i need forst on index page....
thanks

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
first when i go and search for kirazcafe.com-it will go very slow, if you will go
by http://www.kirazcafe.com it will go faster. also sometimes image disappear and sometimes it is there. I am not sure how can i fix searchable problem so it will start fast and effective... also when you already there it will go faster, but first i need forst on index page....
thanks

What size is your background image? I'm sure this is what is slowing is down. Once it is in the browser cache it goes more quickly which is what makes me think it is the problem. Also, you need a doctype in your <head> tags but that is unrelated to your problem.

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:41 PM
i can not recall at this moment, but i think it is 640.
can you open it?????
should i change background size but what size?????? what is your recomendations???????

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
i can not recall at this moment, but i think it is 640.
can you open it?????
should i change background size but what size?????? what is your recomendations???????

I can open it which I couldn't do the last time you posted a link. I didn't mean the actual size of the image I meant the size of the image file in bytes or mb. What size is it?

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I just checked aagain, background is missing on some pages, but i checked an hour ago and background was on the place, it was only wicked slow....
and everytime i go, something is diffrent then before, why??????

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
i 'll tell you when i'll get home and i'll check it..

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
so when you opened it, was it slow for you?? what should I do???????

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
so when you opened it, was it slow for you?? what should I do???????

Yes, it was a bit slower than I would have expected a simple site to take to load. Go and check the file size. :wink:

m1a2x3x7
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
640K?? WOW. An entire page shouldnt be more then 150k.

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
640K?? WOW. An entire page shouldnt be more then 150k.

I think (hope) 640 is the actual width of the image but if it is the file size you are spot on, it is way too large and no wonder browsers are struggling.

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
no i said the size is of background in px not kb

katecher
10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I'll tell you tonight and what is your recomendation of the size???

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I'll tell you tonight and what is your recomendation of the size???

I've just managed to download your background image. It is 404kb! Far too big. It is also over 2000px high which seems very long.

Recommendation is keep your background simple and build the look you want with smaller images which are optimised for the web.

katecher
10-06-2008, 05:34 PM
ok, i know why it is so long, because i have to add background to it with diffrent hight, so i'll loose backgground and i'll just add background to my layout.
what size it should be?

katecher
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
if i have the size of my background diffrent like one is 640 x 1242, and another is 640 X 480, which one to use, so it will be useful for all my pages??? because they are all diffrent hights????????

Corrosive
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
if i have the size of my background diffrent like one is 640 x 1242, and another is 640 X 480, which one to use, so it will be useful for all my pages??? because they are all diffrent hights????????

You've used a very complicated background which barely repeats at all. IMHO you will struggle with this design. You have done what we all do at the start and 'designed yourself into a corner'. You need to understand the uses and, more importantly, limitations of web design. Don't mean to sound like a d*ck but we have all been there and learned by our mistakes. Sorry :(

d a v e
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
also if you had saved it as a gif from the original (not that jpeg) and reduce it to say about 1200px high then it's going to be about 1/6 the file size or less. even at the same size and optimising that jpeg as a gif it's around 1/4 the file size.

edbr
10-07-2008, 01:28 AM
http://www.kirazcafe.com/images-front.jpg
139 KB (142341 bytes)
485px 278px the image izes

Ricky55
10-07-2008, 02:00 AM
You could also fade the background pattern down to just a flat colour after say 1100px after that most people in even with larger screens will never see the pattern anyway. You can use background likes this although its better to have something that you can repeat as Corrosive said but you MUST learn to optimise your images properly and select the correct file type for the job.

If you have photoshop use the save for web option, this not only compresses the file in size it also removes other info contain in a jpg to make them even smaller.

Get a good book if I were you on Web design not just Dreamweaver thats what i did. You need to learn the basics.

katecher
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
i know it is really stupid question, but can Corrozive answer to me?
Now i didn't do anything with my website. when you google it, instead of kirazcafe.com that is how was yesterday-------it is index today and did not even connect to the website. why name changed from kirazcafe to index?
also when you set up your first page(which is index) and now i need to change it to kirazcafe. how when i connect to server it will know to start from kirazcafe page?????

Corrosive
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
i know it is really stupid question, but can Corrozive answer to me?
Now i didn't do anything with my website. when you google it, instead of kirazcafe.com that is how was yesterday-------it is index today and did not even connect to the website. why name changed from kirazcafe to index?
also when you set up your first page(which is index) and now i need to change it to kirazcafe. how when i connect to server it will know to start from kirazcafe page?????

Hello. In the future please start a new thread for a new question but OK for now. I have just Googled 'Kiraz Cafe' and got straight to your site. The index.html page is vital and you must have one or else, you are right, the browser will not know where to start with your site. It needs to go straight to 'index' that is just how websites work.

Your file should be called 'index.html' but you can give the page any title you want i.e. 'Kiraz Cafe' This is done by adding <title>Kiraz Cafe</title> between your <head> tags.

Hope this explains.

katecher
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
i didn not want to start new one, because people are mean here.
so if in my title will be kirazcafe and i'll save as index. because i did put in title "index" i think that is why is showing in google as index, right????

Corrosive
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
i didn not want to start new one, because people are mean here.
so if in my title will be kirazcafe and i'll save as index. because i did put in title "index" i think that is why is showing in google as index, right????

Yes, you are absolutely right :)

By the way I don't think people are mean here, in fact they helped me a lot when I started (and still do). Some of us are a bit set in our ways but we are a nice bunch. Any advice we give you might sound a bit harsh but we are really trying to steer you down the right path and save you problems in the future. None of it is meant to be mean I promise you. :-D

katecher
10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I guess, that is why I am still here to learn...........THE HARD WAY!

Corrosive
10-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I guess, that is why I am still here to learn...........THE HARD WAY!

No my friend, you are here to learn......THE RIGHT WAY! :wink: