PDA

View Full Version : <strong> semantic?

Ricky55
10-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Is it good semantic practice to use the strong tag?...

I have an unordered list with this code

<li id="science">
<p><a href="#"><strong>Science of Eden</strong><br />
Discover how we developed the amazing Eden Eco Mattress range. The winner of the 2008 Furniture Industry Award for Best Bed.<br />
<em>Read More</em></a></p>
</li>

I did have the science of eden as an h5 and that would be the ideal but I need to encapsulate the whole of the li in a link as it as a roll over state and IE will only allow :hover on links, anyway.

Am I ok to use the strong tag? I would use the em but I already have one and two use two would involve classes which would complicate things more that the strong tag, or is there another tag I can use?

I need the tag as this is a sub heading that needs larger text.

domedia
10-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Quick note: For subheads use Hx (h2, h3, h4 etc) and then just put the link inside it.

I think it's a very good practice to use STRONG and EM.

<b> and <i> are considered presentational, so we don't want to use them at all, but let CSS take care of styling.

STRONG and EM is not meant for presentation, but supposed to carry semantical meaning. For me they're about the same, but I'm sure some handcode ninjas will be able to set the difference. I think it's meant to mean something you say strongly and something you put emphasis on. Browsers that translate the webpage to speech/sound, this actually makes a big difference I think.

Ricky55
10-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Thats interesting Dom, I think everyone you speak to seem to have an slightly different opinion on this. Someone else said that I shouldn't use either and should be using a classes.

I tend to agree with you though. I think sometimes you can take this semantic html a bit too far and sometimes you end up creating more code just to avoid using certain HTML thats considered presentational.

Thanks