PDA

View Full Version : Dwt....wer Have They Gone?

graemepark
10-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I have made a page from a dreamweaver basic template. changed the template alot and saved it as a seperate dwt file on my desktop as part of a folder with all my documents related to my website in.

when i open a new html file and try to apply the template i click on new>html doc

modify>templates> apply template to page

however nuthing is showing...

i think the problem is the initial setup of my site e.g. were i put things on my computer i didnt use the unnnamed_site1 thing and am getting rele frustrated

any help would be great :)

Corrosive
10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I have made a page from a dreamweaver basic template. changed the template alot and saved it as a seperate dwt file on my desktop as part of a folder with all my documents related to my website in.

when i open a new html file and try to apply the template i click on new>html doc

modify>templates> apply template to page

however nuthing is showing...

i think the problem is the initial setup of my site e.g. were i put things on my computer i didnt use the unnnamed_site1 thing and am getting rele frustrated

any help would be great :)

Always start your projects by defining a site. Even if you don't put any details ftp details on it. Creating a .dwt should automatically create a folder called 'Templates' and put it in there. Has it done this??

kate
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
A video tut here,

This is for defining your site which is a *must do* first.

We always advise using your own ftp when transferring files to the server because DW can be troublesome.

If you have any problems let us know.

http://www.video-tutes.com/player/player.php?id=1230&T_id=3

:mrgreen:

graemepark
10-03-2008, 11:03 PM
thankyou guys

Corrosive
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
We always advise using your own ftp when transferring files to the server because DW can be troublesome.

Hi Kate

Any chance you could elaborate on this statement please? Probably famous last words, but I have never had any problems with ftp on DW. However, I may well be missing something important. I know that DJ says the same as you. Please explain what you mean. Thanks :)

domedia
10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
DW FTP used to be 'weird'.. best way I can describe it. Sometimes it would work, other times it didn't.

The FTP protocol isn't that hard to get though, so it would surprise me much if they haven't fixed this long time ago.

Corrosive
10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
DW FTP used to be 'weird'.. best way I can describe it. Sometimes it would work, other times it didn't.

The FTP protocol isn't that hard to get though, so it would surprise me much if they haven't fixed this long time ago.

So it's 'quirky' rather than say, a security risk?

domedia
10-04-2008, 09:16 AM
So it's 'quirky' rather than say, a security risk?It was quirky years ago, never a security risk.

Corrosive
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
It was quirky years ago, never a security risk.

Cheers Domedia. Puts my mind at rest. As I said, never had any issues with DW FTP.