PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 A3 is how much?

africano
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Besically the thread title: How much is half an A3.

Theres a small contest to design a poster and one of the things they say is that it has to be half an A3.

How much is this so I can open a correct document in photoshop.

EDIT: when working in photoshop is the correct zoom always 100%?

d a v e
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
a4
check the required resolution though otherwise you may have to resampple the print size!

africano
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
So Half of A3 is A4? Why dont they just say A4 then??:confused:

I dont understand when Im working in Photoshop what zoom percentage Im supposed to look at my work in with this size document?

They dont say anything on the site, just that it must be half an A3 and have certain text(its for a poster).....

any ideas?

domedia
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Zoom is just zoom, you can use whatever zoom you want it's not changing anything in the document.

africano
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I know...But(see if I can explain myself) how do you know what is the correct rsolution(dont know if what Im talking about is the rezsoultion).

But text and graphics appear differnet from different zoom levels(not very clear I know) But for example, an image may look wrong from a certain view, but when I zoom in to 100%, then it looks good....:(

Sad face because I realise Im not being clear, its just that I cant explain myself but hopefully someone will understand!

Any ways to see how the image will look?

domedia
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I know...But(see if I can explain myself) how do you know what is the correct rsolution(dont know if what Im talking about is the rezsoultion). Resolution has nothing to do with the zoom feature

But text and graphics appear differnet from different zoom levels(not very clear I know) But for example, an image may look wrong from a certain view, but when I zoom in to 100%, then it looks good....:( Yes. and what is the question? :)
Zoom is just to be able to zoom further in on the document. It's just for practical easiness. Sometimes you have to work in the details. Zoom , again, changes nothing with the image, just how you view it in Photoshop.

africano
10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks. The question would be...ummm..well just that for example, my photoshop document Im working on looks good at 25% but it has jagged edges at 33.3%

So what are they going to see?

The one that looks good or the one that looks bad.

*doesnt make any sense I believe, but hope you get what I mean*:confused::(

Rob_Che
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Double click the magnify icon. This will give you a pixel perfect view. This is the 'correct' view (100%). Find out what resolution the page needs to be and create a doc at 29.7mm x 210mm. If it's for print it should be 300dpi.

You dig ?

africano
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
thanks I think Im begging to understand.....They dont say anything about resolution, only that it should be Half an A3(so an A4, right) in size.

Its for a poster so Its going to be print I suppose.

Currently my document is A4 width:21cm Height:29.7cm
Resolution:300 pixels/inch.

I didnt select these width and height values myself, selected A4 option from Photoshop.
Shoudl these settings be ok and is the Resolution the 300 pixels/inch?

cheers:-)

domedia
10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks. The question would be...ummm..well just that for example, my photoshop document Im working on looks good at 25% but it has jagged edges at 33.3%

No you don't understand what the zoom is.
It's just zooming in on the document in your monitor.
It changes NOTHING :) (I've said this now a couple of times)

It's like using an actual spyglass, you're not changing anything.

africano
10-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Ok, well Im sorry Im just having a bit of trouble grasping the consept I guess.
Thanks for all the help.

Its just a local concert and they had this competition on their web, last concerts poster wasnt very good so I did this, let me know what you think(whoever feels like it of course!:-)),

http://www.elchevirtual.com/Poster6.jpg

Corrosive
10-02-2008, 04:35 PM

The one that looks good or the one that looks bad.

*doesnt make any sense I believe, but hope you get what I mean*:confused::(

OK, your PC screen will display at about 72dpi (this is why web graphics are fine at this resolution) so if you are working at 300dpi (good print resolution) then your monitor will make this look much bigger than it will actually print. Does this make sense? It is showing all of the dots but it makes it look bigger to fit them all on. If you are working at 300dpi (and are set up for A4 size) you need to work at a zoom which can be directly multiplied into 100. I.e. 50%, 25% and so on. 33.3% will look rubbish because it doesn't go into 100 (3 X 33.3 is 99.9 for all you maths fans out there :wink: ). So, upshot is, for print work at 300dpi, it will look big on your PC for the reasons I stated, but work at 25% or 50% zoom so that you see exactly what you will get.

I really hope this is clear mate. :)

africano
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Cristal clear, cheers mate:)

Corrosive
10-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Cristal clear, cheers mate:)

No problem mate. Here to help :)