PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs basic info

driven
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
First off, I have Dreamweaver 3. Have just built my web site's first page with DW 3 Bible. I have a few basic questions, which I'm hoping some of you more experienced can help me out with. I tried searching for DW 3 but no results. I realize it must be really old.

First, I'm wondering if now, after building the site but needing to delve deeper, if I should upgrade? In using 3 instead of 8 or CS 3 or 4, am I missing out on valuable tools or, creating an obsolete site which would need re-building?

Second, I have been advised to rebuild my page in PS and then cut and splice it into DW. I don't want to do this unless absolutely required for speed of opening.

Sorry if these are arcane questions. I'm just in the beginning stages where I don't even know the terminology to phrase or search out answers.

Much appreciation for any advice!

Chapo
09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Not at all... no need to upgrade just because there is a CS4... the page will work just fine... basically the difference is that things are done easier but with the same result. If you already builded your page and you notice its runs well and has no problem, then there is no need to rebuild it. And its better to create your page with layers in PS instead of slicing up, just add thos layers into DIV's in DW and thats it, but like i said, if your page runs fine like butter, then live it as it is.

Ricky55
09-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I would upgrade, I didn't use version 3 but I guess its moved on a fair bit since then, CSS support will be much better in the newer versions amongst other things.

Like Chapo said though wait for Dreamweaver CS4, due out in October.

driven
10-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much for your replies.

Since the site will function on newer browsers,etc I will continue with DW3. Would really like to not have to put out the cash plus I'm considering investigating switching to Mac instead of PC. And know that will take some time to research. I've got AutoCad on PC and don't want to keep 2 computers going.

The site does work well but since I need to add many additional pages I didn't want to go too far and have to redo. So, now I can confidently continue.

Will look into what you meant Chapo, about DIV's. I don't know why but I can't understand using PS to build pages. I was able to combine images directly into DW. I'm sure afterwards it will all become clear because most everyone advises to use PS besides for image optimization.