PDA

View Full Version : Placing a Flash movie in a Dreamweaver 8 template

Mel
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I have placed a flash movies in a Dreamweaver 8 template. It works fine when I view the template, but when i update the rest of the pages from the template there are just white boxes in place of the movies.

Does anyone have suggestions?

domedia
09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Check the path the the movie, and make sure the movie is online as well.
If that doesn't help, please provide a URL.

And welcome to the forums! 8)

Mel
09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I have not uploaded it to the server yet. Would that make a difference?
I am just trying to view it out of Dreamweaver "Preview in Browser" at this time. On the template file, the path is correct.

Ricky55
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I think the path to the swf needs to be from where the template is saved not from where the HTML page is, its either this way round or the other way just try changing it to see if it sorts things out.

Ricky55
09-24-2008, 11:19 PM
No it should preview in a browser not uploading won't make any difference.

Mel
09-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I tried moving the .swf file and .html files in with the template and reinserted them and then tried putting all the files with the template and neither of them worked. I know it has to be something simple, but can't put my finger on it.

If I place the movie on a different page just in the main content not template it works fine. It has to be something with the template.

If i click on the movie when placed in the template it has the file name and then a place to put Src. I tried pointing that to the .swf file also and nothing.

Any other ideas?

Ricky55
09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
it could be the path the script that embeds the file, if you are using CS3, then its a file called AC_RunActiveContent.js"

in the head of your doc, check the path. When you preview the file is you get a white space where the movie should be then its the path to the script.

Mel
09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.qualityhomesinc.com/testpage.html

Can you take a look at this and see if you see anything that might be messing it up.

I started thinking about it and looking at the code and I had a previous slideshow on here which was set up different...I now wonder if I didn't get all of that coding out.

Where the white boxes are should be the slideshows. They were built in Flash slideshow maker professional and I am working in Drewamweaver 8.

Thanks,

Ricky55
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Mel your code seems a bit of a mess, you have references two swf files and neither of them seem to be present.

According to the code you are using two swf's called:
Templates/exteriornew.swf
Templates/interiornew.swf

But when I browse these folders the swf's don't display so they can't be there.

What I would do is open your template file up and remove all the embed code, place your swf files into logical folders and try embedding them again.

If you send me the swf that belongs on this page I will do it for you.

richard@qwerty-design.co.uk

Mel
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry I forgot to upload the .swf files. They should be in there now.
The first link I gave you, http://www.qualityhomesinc.com/testpage.html I created out from the template just by doing a save as...it works. I uploaded another that I did buy creating a new file from the template, http://www.qualityhomesinc.com/testfile.html
it does not work.

I don't know a lot about code. Just enough to be dangerous.
Sorry for the mess.

Ricky55
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll have a look in the morning for you too tired now been staring at my screen all day.

edbr
09-26-2008, 01:14 AM
one the first page the lonk is
Templates/interiornew.swf
on the second
interiornew.swf
change the second link

Ricky55
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Mel have you got this working yet?

Mel
09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
No,

I see what the previous post said about the file names being different, but I can't change them since they are part of the template.
I did find out that if i make each movie an editible region and if i go into each page and replace the movie they work. I really don't want to have to change them on each page in the future if the movie changes...do you think this is the only solution? I still don't get it because when I do this the file name stays the same as it was when it wasn't working.

If it would help I can just go ahead and update the files on the site so you can see what I see entirley. I can always make editable regions if all else fails.

Let me know if that would help.

Thanks!

Ricky55
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
that kinda defeats the point of the template, yeah get it uploaded so we can see what were looking at

Mel
09-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Well I guess I should have uploaded it sooner.
http://www.qualityhomesinc.com/index.htm
it works on every page.

OMG...I can't figure that one out. The links show the same as they did when they would not work.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks,

Mel

Ricky55
09-28-2008, 10:07 PM
whats not working now i've lost track with this post

Mel
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
It started working when I put it on the server. I have no idea why it woudl not show when viewed in the server out of Dreamweaver, but all is working now.
Thanks!