PDA

View Full Version : CSS font apears small in IE

up4dw
09-24-2008, 06:22 AM
For some reason my font looks fine size 42 in fire fox. However in IE looks very small. http://www.hardydiesel.com (http://www.hardydiesel.com/)

@charset "utf-8";
.HomeHeader {
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size: 42px;
font-weight: bolder;
background-image: url(../images/textures/clouds/clouds_dark_gray.jpg);
color: #0000FF;
padding-left: 10px;
text-decoration: none;
padding-top: 0px;
position: static;
}
.CenterCell {
padding-right: 10px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

domedia
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
"@charset "utf-8";" delete this

Corrosive
09-24-2008, 04:57 PM
For some reason my font looks fine size 42 in fire fox. However in IE looks very small. http://www.hardydiesel.com (http://www.hardydiesel.com/)

@charset "utf-8";
.HomeHeader {
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-weight: bolder;
background-image: url(../images/textures/clouds/clouds_dark_gray.jpg);
color: #0000FF;
text-decoration: none;
position: static;
}
.CenterCell {
padding-right: 10px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

42px is pretty big!

up4dw
09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Ok deleted it no change in IE. Any other idea's?

"@charset "utf-8";" delete this

Corrosive
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Ok deleted it no change in IE. Any other idea's?

You've wrapped the text in an <h3> tag and I can't see anywhere that you've styled <h3>. I believe that if you don't style them you get default font sizes. Try styling <h3> in your CSS and see how you get on. :)

up4dw
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
42px is pretty big!

Ok tried 32 what the hay. Even smaller in IE 7

Corrosive
09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok tried 32 what the hay. Even smaller in IE 7

Read my last post.

up4dw
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
You've wrapped the text in an <h3> tag and I can't see anywhere that you've styled <h3>. I believe that if you don't style them you get default font sizes. Try styling <h3> in your CSS and see how you get on. :)

You lost me. How can you tell I wraped the text in an <h3>

Woud it be easier to unwrap it?

Corrosive
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
You lost me. How can you tell I wrapped the text in an <h3>?

Errrm, view > source in my browser.

Would it be easier to unwrap it?

Maybe, or you could add...

h3 {font-size: 42px;}

...to your stylesheet. Either way should do it. If that doesn't help I am fresh out of ideas!

domedia
09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Not sure either..
except we know IE will not read XHTML, it will just treat it as HTML. But since I don't usually write XHTML, I have o idea if this is the cause.

Rant: why oh why do people, and there's many of them, still create XHTML pages when there's no IE support for it.

d a v e
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
saving a copy of your page and adding this to the stylesheet
h3 {
}

gets me the same size text in ie as in fireofx.

are you sure you have the text size set in your IE set to medium?

also you should be using <H1> for the most important heading on the page ;)

and you should change the colour od the text too as that blue is too difficult to read against that background.

Corrosive
09-24-2008, 07:28 PM
saving a copy of your page and adding this to the stylesheet
h3 {
}

gets me the same size text in ie as in fireofx.

Thought it might :wink: Thanks for checking though Dave. I didn't think I ought to go into how random that h3 tag is...

up4dw
09-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Nm didnt know itwas XHTML. Wonder howI managed that one. Will figure it out and re frame from doing itin the future.

Not sure either..
except we know IE will not read XHTML, it will just treat it as HTML. But since I don't usually write XHTML, I have o idea if this is the cause.

Rant: why oh why do people, and there's many of them, still create XHTML pages when there's no IE support for it.

up4dw
09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok figured out Dreamweaver was set to default to XHTM 1.0 transitional new page.

Should I set it to HTML 1.0 Strict or transitional?

Should I re-create my pages in regular HTML or is there a way to convert them?

Thanks for the advice.

Cary
09-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Go to Modify > Page Properties...

In the Title/Encoding category you can change the Document Type (DTD) to HTML 4.01 Transitional or Strict.

Cary
09-25-2008, 05:02 AM

And then we still have new books coming saying xhtml is the way to go.:roll:

domedia
09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
And then we still have new books coming saying xhtml is the way to go.:roll:
Very true, and to be honest here really are two camps of belief on this subject so I won't claim the 'truth' in this. There's some very smart people saying it's ridiculous to write XHTML for regular websites, and some other very smart people arguing the opposite. I just happen to fall in the first mentioned camp :)

I know you're a practical web standards guy Cary, what are your thoughts on this?

Cary
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been trying to figure out how to put this into words which I'm not to great at, as I tend to think in pictures, if that makes any sense. I really like html because it seems simpler and cleaner to me. Those slashes and messing with closing tags correctly doesn't really look right or sit well with me. They certainly don't help me to code any better.

On the other hand, other people seem to find the extra xhtml markup more satisfying as (or at least I suspect) they think it's stricter and less prone to contain errors. I know there is the belief that xhtml is more future proof. I honestly don't know how prevalent that idea is, and I know next to nothing about the validity of it. From what I understand, the currently existing xhtml pages would still need modifying if they were to be served as true xhtml. Perhaps that's not the case, which would certainly be a point in their favor.

I say they "think it's stricter" because in practice I haven't found that the increased strictness helps. Those who care about validation and such code their pages well, regardless of whether they are using html or xhtml. Every one else seem to be equally relaxed no matter what doctype they use, if any at all.

<disclaimer>The previous statements made use of gross generalizations.</disclaimer>

edbr
09-26-2008, 02:05 AM
think you put it clearly. In general i always think the technology is moving pretty quickly and what is essential today will be as useful as 80's disco clothes or 8 track stereo tomorrow.