PDA

View Full Version : need help with side server includes

bridgeguru
09-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi, I'm not silly, but i am having trouble getting my head around ssi's...my web site uses frames and now i wish to change it...as seo's aren't finding it...not sure how to go about converting my site...can someone help me please...?

edbr
09-23-2008, 01:34 AM
how big is the site and where is it?

bridgeguru
09-23-2008, 02:57 AM
it is www.alternativeview.net.au

i would like to make it look something like www.thestarirlifts.com, but am not sure how to achieve the links between the navigation bar and the main content page

bridgeguru
09-23-2008, 02:58 AM
thanks, sorry that should be www.thestairlifts.com

keith

edbr
09-23-2008, 03:09 AM
the links are just normal links to other pages on the site as yours are. Do you mean styling?
as for the frames you need to make a new page design preferably using divs
and add your content on the page in a div not a frame set.
If you want that scroll bar this can also be done with css. Have I read you request right?

bridgeguru
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
yes, i don't like using frames but don't know how else to do it, do u have some simple code that i can follow, or other ideas, do i need to use ssi

edbr
09-24-2008, 01:35 AM
depend on your t experience I would say. The direction to go is divs using css to, both for control o your design and seo advantage (over frames for sure)
look at the templates on the site or use this page here to experiment with. http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28749
it is for using different types of links but has a basic page structure.
You can always ask for help here

domedia
09-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Ed's right, there should be no reason anymore to use markup for design purposes. Once you dip your toes into CSS you'll never look back :)

bridgeguru
09-27-2008, 01:45 PM
ok, thank you so far for all your replies; i am ashamed to admit it, but i am still in need of help. i checked out http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum...ad.php?t=28749 (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28749) and added a link to a page in the sidebar, but the page opened in a new window. Ok, so in dreanweaver i opened a new page using "Page designs (CSS)" and chose "halo left nav". Using this page, how do i get the sectionlink to open a page where the story title is or the feature title is...i think if u can answer this, it will be a great help, sorry if this is sooo simple, but at the moment i am just really dumb.

thanks again....keith

domedia
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Remove the target attribute from the links.

bridgeguru
09-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Hi, the only attribute set is the page name, i have attached code below

when i click on "split code" and click on "About us", the only attribute set is the href

<div id="sectionLinks"> <a href="About us.html">Section Link</a> <a href="#">Section Link</a> <a href="#">Section Link</a> <a href="#">Section Link</a> <a href="#">Section Link</a> <a href="#">Section Link</a> </div>

I hope this is clear, what i am trying tio achieve is: when i add in different section links, i dont want them to open in a new page each time.

Thanks again

edbr
09-29-2008, 02:24 AM
as om said they will only open a new page with target _blank else they will use the existing window

bridgeguru
09-29-2008, 07:26 AM
thank you very much for all your help and time...keith