PDA

View Full Version : pages won't display in safari/opera (blank white), firefox is fine?

gypsybird
09-21-2008, 05:04 AM
hello, i'm new here.

i am perplexed...
working on a site in dreamweaver cs3, displays fine in firefox, but displays a blank white page in safari and opera (i'm on a mac without explorer).

dreamweaver's browser check doesn't find any issues.

any ideas of what i should be looking for to fix this?

Cary
09-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi there,

Do you have a test url we can look at?

gypsybird
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
ah, yes...

http://www.chapmanfoto.com/new/chapmanfoto/index-new.html

edbr
09-22-2008, 01:07 AM
you have no doctype

edbr
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
lot of keywords there, leo kokte no less, any pics of john fahey?

domedia
09-22-2008, 04:53 AM
and no ending body or html tag

gypsybird
09-22-2008, 05:36 AM
i have, in fact, added the end body and html tags (although the current uploaded test file does not reflect this), but that does not solve the problem. same blank white page in safari. same blank black page in explorer (a pc friend tells me that's what he sees).

regarding the doctype, i have several operational downloaded sites that i am using as examples for templates/learning tools, and they do not have doctypes- yet they still work. therefore i am unclear as to why that would make a difference here?

(and yes, lots of keywords that need to be pruned. that's the least of my problems right now that will be attended to later).

Corrosive
09-22-2008, 05:49 AM
i have, in fact, added the end body and html tags (although the current uploaded test file does not reflect this), but that does not solve the problem. same blank white page in safari. same blank black page in explorer (a pc friend tells me that's what he sees).

regarding the doctype, i have several operational downloaded sites that i am using as examples for templates/learning tools, and they do not have doctypes- yet they still work. therefore i am unclear as to why that would make a difference here?

(and yes, lots of keywords that need to be pruned. that's the least of my problems right now that will be attended to later).

Check you're not missing one of these --> somewhere.

edbr
09-22-2008, 06:40 AM
doctypes are there to help browsers render pages, why would you nor have them>?
if you have added the tags upload them . you give an incomplete page and ask for opinions . I think you should expect comments like above
keywords are largely irrelevant these days I just noticed them

domedia
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Gypsy, until there is a regular structure that is not broken in the webpage, it's near to impossible to say what is wrong. Ending body and html tags and doctype are not optional fields in a HTML document.

gypsybird
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
i fixed the problem.
knowing that by reference, the absence of the doctype was not the cause (since other pages display fine without it), but by the logic are read and loded from the top down... since the page displayed the title but nothing else, the problem had to be after the title but before the content. so as a test, i deleted all the css/style info and voila! then i just needed to redo the text styles and now i'm good to go. i can refocus my attention to the design rather than hitting my head on the wall.

since i am new to coding, this is more or less the sort of logic i was hoping to find here, to help my brain along and avoid some of the internal stress of trying to figure it out myself. i understand that a more complete file would have been helpful (with the body/html endtags, for example), but since i didn't have the opportunity to do that i was hoping someone with more understanding of code details could help with the logic of where to look and what to look for.

i would still like to understand, if someone could be so kind, what the problem was within the css/style code? learning this stuff on my own, without someone to field questions, is rather difficult.

gypsybird
09-22-2008, 07:12 PM
also curious why keywords would be "irrelevant"?
are they no longer used as search words?

domedia
09-22-2008, 07:23 PM
also curious why keywords would be "irrelevant"?
are they no longer used as search words? Meta keywords are not being used by modern search engines. There was a time long time ago where just using the meta keyword tag would automatically make your document relevant to the keywords, but the search engines are using far more sophisticated methods today to find this out.