PDA

View Full Version : Spry Drop Down Menu IE Issues *sigh*

burt durand
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello all!

I'm building a site for a pharmacy in Dreamweaver CS3. I've incorporated a Spry horizontal drop down menu, and have modified its CSS a bit. Everything works fine in Safari and Firefox, but in IE the submenu boxes are off-position and the submenu text items are awry. I've been looking online as to which CSS rules might be the issue, but haven't really been able to lock onto any one in particular. Or if there is just some additional code I need to put in there to massage out the IE wrinkles.

Here's a link to the test site:

http://www.prejeancreative.com/testmp/index.html

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Burt Durand
Prejean Creative

(The Spry CSS is a little long to paste in here, but if you would like me to paste a specific part of it, let me know.)

burt durand
09-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Someone had mentioned to me that it would be a case of adding hybrid code to make IE read differently that Safari and Firefox. Does anyone have an idea of what that code would consist of?

Thanks,
Burt

coloeagle
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Not heard the term IE hybrid.

I think what they may be referring to is an IE conditional statement.

This is where you would create a separate CSS menu style sheet specifically for IE. In the head of your pages you would then have IE call this sheet by placing the respective conditional statement.

Example for a specific IE browser version;
<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/ie6menu.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/ie7menu.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]--> or you can do a single style sheet for all of IE where you add lte, where lte stands for Less Than or Equal to.
<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/iemenu.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]-->

Icy Garnet
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello there

I have checked into your website's spry CSS, and noticed it is also out of date. You are currently running 1.4 when 1.6.1 is released. I suggest updating to the latest version for a critical reason I noticed right off the bat:

Your drop-down menu's are horribly slow to load in IE on a Windows Vista PC. I had this same problem and fixed it right up with a little validation and a upgrade of the spry.

It also has fixes for IE also I believe.

Try that first, and see what happens. Because for the time being I can't actively see what the problem is in IE due to the menu's being so slow. =)

You can DL the Spry Updater here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/spryteam/2007/10/spry_16_and_the_dreamweaver_up.html

Be sure that you overwrite the old CSS with the new version on your server, and maybe jot down the CSS styles you had so you don't forget them.