PDA

View Full Version : Displaying an icon on the address/tab bar

MadDogMullan
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to display an icon in the address and tab bar?

Many thanks in adance.

Peter:-D

Death Dream
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
It's called a Favicon, you can do a lot of googling on it, this is just something I found really quick.

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

Its actually really easy =P

~Death Dream~

Ricky55
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Very easy to do,

just save any image as a .ico file called favicon.ico, this file needs to be an RGB 72dpi image measuring 16 pixels square.

There are loads of little apps that you can get that will save .ico, or if you use Photoshop you can download this that will enable you to save .ico files from there.

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/icoformat/trunk/dist/README.html

Ricky55
09-15-2008, 04:57 PM
btw the file needs to be saved in the root folder of your website.

edbr
09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
code in the head section
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Ricky55
09-16-2008, 01:17 AM
What does that do Edbr, I've never included that!

edbr
09-16-2008, 01:49 AM
puts the favicon image before your site address in the address bar

d a v e
09-16-2008, 03:12 AM
this might help too
http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

MadDogMullan
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your help with this little problem.

In the end I went with the W3C format:

<link rel="icon"
type="image/png"
href="img/GSMDSU.ico">

and this worked a treat.

Ricky55, thanks for the photoshop plug-in very usefull :-D , and thank you dave to the online favicon generator very:cool: .

Two other questions for you all.
1)How does you pronounce 'favicon' is it a)'fav_i_con or b) 'fav_icon ? I use a btw.

2)How do you get a href link to open on a new page/tab.

Love you all.

MadDog.:grin:

edbr
09-18-2008, 12:44 AM
target="_blank"

Ricky55
09-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I called them favi con but I could be wrong. Fav icon would make more sense I guess.

edbr when you say
puts the favicon image before your site address in the address bar

Doesn't it do that anyway or am I thinking of something else?

edbr
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM
um pass! I never tried without the link

domedia
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Doesn't it do that anyway or am I thinking of something else? My guess this depends on what browser and browser version you are using. Also don't forget that the icon is used for other things, not only the address bar, like bookmarks and shortcuts.

Ricky55
09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
just never used that code and i have always seen the icon in both the address bar and the bookmarks and I test in all common browsers on both mac and pc.

domedia
09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
It might not be needed then..

What I've found is that favicon is flaky... sometimes you have to bookmark the site to see the icon, other times you'll see it the second time you visit the website etc.. But it was a while ago, so maybe it was on older browsers. Would be nice if someone would make a comparison chart of the support and level of support (maybe someone has?)

d a v e
09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
something like this?
http://informationgift.com/ud/faviconic/

domedia
09-19-2008, 06:34 PM
dave FTW!
Very nice link.. it's all there, excellent.

d a v e
09-19-2008, 08:17 PM
google (or whatever) is your friend ;)

Cary
09-20-2008, 12:18 AM
just never used that code and i have always seen the icon in both the address bar and the bookmarks and I test in all common browsers on both mac and pc.

Depends on the browser type, the type of icon, and the location of the icon. With the link you can be sure the icon can be found when it's not in the root directory, or if it has a name other than "favicon.ico" (because the icon image may be a png or even an animated gif as some sites use).

Corrosive
09-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Depends on the browser type, the type of icon, and the location of the icon. With the link you can be sure the icon can be found when it's not in the root directory, or if it has a name other than "favicon.ico" (because the icon image may be a png or even an animated gif as some sites use).

Well, if we are doing 'favicon facts'... If you change your favicon and run an older browser then you need to clear your browsing history for them to register the changes straight away.

I scratched my head for ages working out why mine hadn't changed :wink: