PDA

View Full Version : Noob problem configuring first PHP site w/DW cs3

William3
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi,

So...I'm entering the world of dynamic websites for the very first time (literally...installed php, Apache, and MySQL just yesterday) and I am following along with the tutorial on lynda.com. Problem is, the tutorial is done on a Mac, and I'm using Windows. Ordinarily, not much of an issue, but it seems the file paths are different, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to organize my folders or write my filepaths in a way that Dreamweaver likes. I keep getting this error message:Dreamweaver cannot use the prefix you entered to display live data. Please double-check your site configuration or click on Help for more information on how to correct this problem. (HTTP Error: 0)
The Dreamweaver Help is pretty unhelpful...it mainly tells me I am configuring my site wrong. Well yes, I know that much. I've looked online for a simple explanation and haven't found anything that fits.:roll:

If anybody has a simple explanation for how to configure a php site in Dreamweaver properly for the first time, that would be great.

1. Am I putting the server folder in the wrong place? (i.e. where should I be telling DW to look....in the Apache folder, yes?)

2. Should I be telling DW to use the htdocs folder as the server root folder?

3. Should I be using the My Documents folder for anything, or does it matter? I never use that folder, but maybe DW requires it or something?

4. How much or how little of the filepath does DW need after http://localhost/ ?

5. Am I required to have any folders in any specific place...and if so, where?

Despite those questions, as far as I can tell the problem is that I'm not specifying the testing server folder's filepath correctly...or maybe it's in the wrong place.

Any sympathetic souls remember being in this situation? Any helpful advice is appreciated.

And in an unrelated question, if I am using DW, Apache, php, and MySQL, where does WampServer fit in? It is just another coding environment, isn't it? If I am going to build my sites in DW, I have no need of it, right?

Thanks for any help and advice,

--Will

lux
09-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey William. If you check out the Tutorials and Articles section there is all the info you will need kindly put together by davidj.

Have a watch of the videos and check back if you have any problems

Good luck

William3
09-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I watched the applicable tutorial about installing PHP, etc., before I posted, and it said to uninstall everything I spent quite a bit of time installing, so that I could install it all again with WampServer...but didn't tell me why, or whether that was actually necessary or not. So, I didn't see the need to go through all that again, perhaps unnecessarily, when I'm just stuck at this one little step in the process.

You should review that video (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/wamp-dw.php)
because it has a lot of pings and feedback at the beginning, and then the sound goes out completely. Could just be my system, but I'm not having problems watching anything else.

lux
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
WampServer (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) is Apache, MySQL, PHP on Windows, not a coding environment.

It's for people to quickly (5 mins) and easily (couple of clicks of the mouse) to get up and running a local (your computer) web server (apache) and install PHP (server side scripting language) and MySQL (relational database) to easily and quickly build dynamic website (display content based on a users action).

When creating a website on your own computer all webpages must reside inside the root web folder (www/ or htdocs/). You can then access the web pages in a Web Browser by visiting http://localhost/[your webpage or directory]/

As for setting up a site in Dreamweaver, check to make sure your viewing the add site with the basic tab showing. Then follow the instructions.

Add all folders and files inside the root web folder as I mentioned above.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if your still stuck.

edbr
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I sympathise i spent weeks trying to configure this , then i found at the time xxamp and later apache2triad, and as lux says a couple of clicks and its done for you. I havent used wamp but i believe its a similar deal

William3
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I finally managed to get the server path right. Actually, I think it's better to use the Advanced panel in DW instead of the basic one, because it contains more information and I was able to identify the proper path to the server folder from there.

So, if I actually uninstall Php, Apache, and MySQL, and install Wamp instead, it is going to install all three of these for me, and make it simpler to configure?

If I do this, I will still be able to use DW to work on my sites, correct? Or will I need to learn (yet another) new interface?

lux
09-11-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah you still use DreamWeaver.

you can do pretty much everything with DW except administer your MySQL database.

i would recommend using sqlbuddy to access your MySQL db:

http://www.sqlbuddy.com/

but theres loads of options