PDA

View Full Version : Can I rebuild my site with Dreamweaver?

philn
09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi All

Im a newbie here and need help!

Ive spent alot of time building my site philnortonphotography.co.uk using a wysiwyg prog called mediator. Its very cool, very powerful and can do great things...but Im just finding out now what a mess it makes of the underlying code. Ive been told that although it looks great its almost unsearchable by engines, and there is little I can do about it.

So it looks like a rebuild in something that will handle the code better. I have DW MX2004, so my question is can I rebuild my site as it is using this. Its quite simple when you take away all the eye candy background images. It uses iframes to integrate the galleries, and contact forms etc.

I presume with DW being powerful I can achieve the same roll overs for some images and nav links?

is there anything that I cant do, before i start banging my head trying to figure it out?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

domedia
09-09-2008, 01:47 PM
You can go to Adobe.com for a 90 day trial,. the site also have comprehensive information of the softwares capabilities :)

Corrosive
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
You can go to Adobe.com for a 90 day trial,. the site also have comprehensive information of the softwares capabilities :)

Hi there

(Domedia, he says he has already got DW. Why would he want a 90 day trial?) The answer to the question is yes, you will be able to do everything you want using DW but be prepared to learn some coding at least to get the very best out of it.

I would also look at a CSS and Div Tag based design unless you have a really good reason for using iframes?

Go and start 'banging your head' :wink:

domedia
09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Right, no need for a trial. oops

Yes, if you have DW already read the help files and manual. I'm sure it can do more than your other piece of software, it's been around for quite some time :)

Make sure you start reading the manual *before* working on the site. We have way to many questions here regarding to why the site is broke and they never set up the site correctly in the first place, just started editing file. All because they were too lazy to RTFM.

Corrosive
09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Right, no need for a trial. oops

Yes, if you have DW already read the help files and manual. I'm sure it can do more than your other piece of software, it's been around for quite some time :)

Make sure you start reading the manual *before* working on the site. We have way to many questions here regarding to why the site is broke and they never set up the site correctly in the first place, just started editing file. All because they were too lazy to RTFM.

'RTFM' Nice way of putting it Domedia :wink:

philn
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
'RTFM' Nice way of putting it Domedia :wink:

Guys thanks for the replies, thats all I needed to know for now...I have a monster manual so will start reading it, i know its essential to set up right first.

Iframes......only because Im ignorant..........the same can be achieved without using iframes?

domedia
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Iframes......only because Im ignorant..........the same can be achieved without using iframes? For the real reason to use iframes, there's only iframes. You could use a page scraper script, but it is not reliable.