PDA

View Full Version : MYSQL DB going live???

tux
09-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Okay I have a website that has been built on my local environment and is nearly ready to go live.

Never used MYSQL before always used ACCESS. With ACCESS I used to just upload the DB to the server. What do I need to do to get my MYSQL DB onto the live server and what things do I need to consider with security etc.

I use EMS Lite. Thanks guys.

Regards, Paul

edbr
09-09-2008, 01:21 AM
does your host have phpmyadmin on it?

tux
09-09-2008, 05:50 AM
We currently have a basic hosting package but will be upgrading it to a business package that has PHP Enabled and allows configuration of SQL2000.

edbr
09-09-2008, 06:57 AM
sql? isn't that for microsoft?

davidj
09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
if your using SQL then your looking at a rebuild

all your mysql calls will be invalid

tux
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I'll check with the host to see if they support MYSQL. If not we will go else where.

So whatever host I use, as long as they support MYSQL, what do I need to be aware of and how do I go about getting the DB onto the server.

Edbr, you mentioned phpmyadmin. If a host supports MYSQL I take it they will have phpmyadmin. And I would use that to upload my DB???

Dj, you use EMS I believe! How do you get your DB's to the server from your local environment?

Cheers guys

davidj
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
what do I need to be aware of and how do I go about getting the DB onto the server.

you need to export the db

now you can do a MYSQL dump from the command line or an export from EMS and I'm guessing that phpmyadmin may have a similar feature

I'm with 1&1 and they deny all external connections to the db so you have to use their own bespoke web thingy or install phpmyadmin on the server.

I like EMS as it is feature rich. If you got the budget and your host allows external connections then this will do the business. It can import from about 10 different sources (excel, access, CSV, XML ...) Including sucking in SQL script files (these are recognised by the db server) you can copy dB's from one location to another. Also has schematic charting for documenting table structures.

some of the features above may be overkill and you may never use them. I think there is a trial.

phpmyadmin may do the job just as well

edbr
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
i use phpmy admin and it has been on all servers i've used but not all I guess

domedia
09-10-2008, 03:49 AM
i use phpmy admin and it has been on all servers i've used but not all I guess
No you're right, it's pretty much standard.

Tux, is there really no control panel with this hosting?

tux
09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi Domedia,

We have yet to upgrade the hosting. It is currently only a basic hosting package. The upgrade will support PHP but it seems that it may not support MYSQL.

I am waiting for a response to see if the upgrade will be what we need, if not we will look for another.

My main issue is how to get my MYSQL DB to the server regardless to which host we end up with. (Not done this before.)

Dj & Edbr's tips have been helpful. I'm sure it will all come clearer once we have the hosting in place.

Another thing was, is there any security issues I should be aware of once opening up the DB to the world.

Thanks guys,

Paul

domedia
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
With a regular control panel that comes with all the basic hosting packages I've heard of, you just simply click the 'upload' button. :-(
But really, this is a question for your new host.

tux
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Okay, the current host does not support MYSQL (fools).

Dj has suggested 1&1, can anyone else give some recommendations for good hosts that support PHP and MYSQL.

Cheers all.

Paul

davidj
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
php supports sql server

you have to change your sql calls and connection script

it may not be that painful

http://uk3.php.net/mssql

davidj
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
additional

1&1 have a deal on the pro package where the 1st year is free on a 2 year deal

rattlsnak
09-11-2008, 04:43 AM
hostgator.com is another good one me several of my friends use.