PDA

View Full Version : Web Stats

Rob_Che
09-07-2008, 10:58 PM
What do people use for getting their page stats around here ?

I have a new server that has a REALLY fancy package for sorting all this out but as I have a number of sites, the Urchin system only gives me server traffic stats...

I've used AddMe in the past and the results are what I need but it seems a lame way to go about things and I certainly don't want their ugly advert on MY site ;)

Rob

davidj
09-07-2008, 11:45 PM
web trends is one i have used

http://www.webtrends.com/

they used to do a nice log file analyser but i think its evolved into a suite now and comes with a price

years ago i used to export the log file through this app into a PDF. It would generate lots of 3d charts of all types. We would print this off and send it to the client as an unexpected, (we are thinking about you) gesture. It added that little extra touch and 9/10 times they would come back for other design stuff. Plus the information was very good

neonfluxx
09-08-2008, 03:55 AM
doesn't your host offer one

Corrosive
09-08-2008, 05:49 AM
doesn't your host offer one

I agree Neon. You should get stats with your host Rob. If not go and ask them why? I get cpanel and AWstats (amongst others) with mine. Showed a client Saturday all the activity on his site and he was very impressed :)

Rob_Che
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I agree Neon. You should get stats with your host Rob.

...but as I have a number of sites, the Urchin system only gives me server traffic stats...

*cough*

I'll see if I can find a service with a decent small counter.
I'll have a hunt around then . . .

Cheers anyway all...

Rob

domedia
09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Make sure you add Google Analytics in addition to whatever stats your host gives. If you host does not provide any web stats, Google Analytics will be good enough I think. It also let you cross reference data, and integrates well with ecommerce goals and testing if you do that.

Please don't use a counter.. we used them for geocitiy pages in the 90'ies when we thought they were cool.. ;)

Death Dream
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Please don't use a counter.. we used them for geocitiy pages in the 90'ies when we thought they were cool.. ;)

Hahahaha no joke there!

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I have added counters to a few sites.
I encourage people to use invisible ones if any but people genuinely want to see it clicking up... They soon change their mind when they're getting 2 hits a month !

domedia
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
*every* server keeps a log of what is going on. There is no reason to add counters or 'invisible' counters, whatever that is :)

They soon change their mind when they're getting 2 hits a month ! HAHA :-)

Rob_Che
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
*every* server keeps a log of what is going on.

Grrrrrrrrr........ I clearly have a stupid server set up. Mine doesn't. FACT :(

domedia
09-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Grrrrrrrrr........ I clearly have a stupid server set up. Mine doesn't. FACT :( All server software keeps logs, you just don't have access to it. Every server keeps a log of everything that goes on. Usually a hosting company will provide some kind of application to access that data like webalizer, awstats etc. :)

kate
10-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I use Webstats,

Have done since I first got a Web site. Free or pay.

http://www.webstat.com/index.php?wsSession=2fb75b4c3b87b65ab2e5ba99aee003 c5