PDA

View Full Version : Need to host in home country?

Steakaphagus
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi guys,
Recently read that it's important to know where your host servers are based.....I'm planning to get my site up soon (I hope), and was planning to go with 1and1. Now, the article I read said that 1and1 are based in germany, so Google will not recognise my site as being based in the UK for searches (I'm based in the UK). My site may do well in searches for 'Google.de', but not any other Google search (unless if the searcher specified to search all the web).
So - do I need to get a UK host to appear on a 'pages from UK' Google search?
Also, my site is mostly info, and I'd like to also appear on US searches - how can I get my site to appear on both 'from UK' and 'from US' searches without Google getting upset?
Thanks!

domedia
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,
Recently read that it's important to know where your host servers are based. Somewhat important. If all your visitors are from Britain, it's a good idea to have your server there as well.
....I'm planning to get my site up soon (I hope), and was planning to go with 1and1. Now, the article I read said that 1and1 are based in germany1.and1 headquarters are in Germany, their servers are in many countries.
, so Google will not recognise my site as being based in the UK for searches (I'm based in the UK). ?? Who told you this?

My site may do well in searches for 'Google.de', but not any other Google search (unless if the searcher specified to search all the web). Normal
So - do I need to get a UK host to appear on a 'pages from UK' Google search? No
Also, my site is mostly info, and I'd like to also appear on US searches - how can I get my site to appear on both 'from UK' and 'from US' searches without Google getting upset?
Thanks! Err... magic? :-) How can we analyze your site?

Steakaphagus
09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Domedia,
Read it all in a book called 'get to the top on Google' by David Viney. My site's not up and running yet, but thought I should know a bit about SEO before building it etc...
He says that if the TLD is .com (which mine is), and it is with 1and1 (he says their servers are in its German data center), then my site will never rank well with Google.co.uk (but might with Google.de - not much use to me!).
I will check it out with 1and1 though - UK based server should sort my worries. ;-)

domedia
09-08-2008, 01:44 PM
OK, this worries me a little to say the least :( Factually the information is not right. It's years ago since 1and1 got their first datacenter in the US for example, and indicating that geographical hosting location is a factor in Googles algorithm to be placed in the Search Engine result pages (serps) is ridiculous. How would the geographical location of the server make the information on that page more or less relevant?

You'd be much better off selling that book on eBay, and read some og the cery good information available on SEO on the web :)

Steakaphagus
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I'm learning fast that info in books is often outdated or plain wrong!
I guess that Google might use your server location for SERPs when a user specified 'pages from the UK' when doing the search, but then I'd have thought more importance would be given if your title etc had 'UK' in it somewhere.
I've looked on the Google site to try and get a definitive answer, but still not found it. Will keep trawling and look at some SEO stuff on the web.......
In the meantime, do you want to buy a book from me on 'getting to the top on Google' ? Got a cheap one that's just come up for sale......:lol:

Corrosive
09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I'm learning fast that info in books is often outdated or plain wrong!
I guess that Google might use your server location for SERPs when a user specified 'pages from the UK' when doing the search, but then I'd have thought more importance would be given if your title etc had 'UK' in it somewhere.
I've looked on the Google site to try and get a definitive answer, but still not found it. Will keep trawling and look at some SEO stuff on the web.......
In the meantime, do you want to buy a book from me on 'getting to the top on Google' ? Got a cheap one that's just come up for sale......:lol:

I think a .co.uk address might help marginally with Google rankings for the UK. Open a Google account (they are free) and they've got loads of tips and advice. Remember it's not a game or a battle to get your site listed. If the content is relevant then it will come up.

Steakaphagus
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
If the content is relevant then it will come up.

To be honest, that's the conclusion I have come to - once the basic major SEO is done, there seems to be lots of little tweaks etc that 'may' make small differences - I figure I'd rather spend the extra time and effort making the site content better and hopefully rankings will slowly take care of themselves

Corrosive
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
To be honest, that's the conclusion I have come to - once the basic major SEO is done, there seems to be lots of little tweaks etc that 'may' make small differences - I figure I'd rather spend the extra time and effort making the site content better and hopefully rankings will slowly take care of themselves

Yep, I think that's a very good idea. :)