PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a noob

JohnL
09-07-2008, 03:51 AM
OK, I have DW installed and am currently trying to create a webiste locally on my PC. I started with a template that came with the app but then decided to just use a blank page This was seems a little easire to work with as I dont have to edit so much code.

I do have some questions that may seem stupid so feel free to tell me so...

Adding and extra page. I have the home page of the site pretty much done and I have 4 links that are flash buttons. Now, to ADD and extra page so that when the link is chosen....how do i do that? Do I go to "File, Open, New"? If so do I then save it as the link name such as "contact us"? Or do i just edit the home page (to keep the same layout, etc) and then "Save As"? It might seem straight forward but I have not had any luck in finidng out the info either from the book I have (Visual Quickstart Guide) or the web.

The flash buttons, when I creat them the appear on the page. The file is then saved in the same place as the home page. Do I need to do anyhting special to these buttons to get them to link properly? I ask becuase I was mucking around and they changed from the actual button to a Flash symbol. Not sure the correct way to do that.

Thanks for any help you can give,

JL

Chapo
09-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Hey JohnL ....

Simply just go to File, New... all the files you create will be stored on the Folder of your website you created in Manage Sites. About the Flash BTNS its easy... Just add the link or URL to that flash btn of the new page you created, thats it.

If the new file or page its called: Johnl.html you add that same name to the Flash BTN URL... so when you add that BTN to Dreamweaver it will navigate in the correct pages you created.

Corrosive
09-07-2008, 06:13 AM
I do have some questions that may seem stupid so feel free to tell me so...

Don't worry, 'stupid questions' aren't stupid if you are just starting out...I still ask stupid questions now :wink:

Adding and extra page. I have the home page of the site pretty much done and I have 4 links that are flash buttons. Now, to ADD and extra page so that when the link is chosen....how do i do that? Do I go to "File, Open, New"? If so do I then save it as the link name such as "contact us"?

This is a valid way of doing it but you will need to rebuild your page every time so you can do it in better ways.

Or do i just edit the home page (to keep the same layout, etc) and then "Save As"? It might seem straight forward but I have not had any luck in finidng out the info either from the book I have (Visual Quickstart Guide) or the web.

You could also do it this way and it was how I created new pages for a while...until I discovered that If you have page elements which are constant throughout your site then you can use a dreamweaver template file. These have .dwt after them and they are very useful for making site wide changes to things like links and text. If you correctly use CSS and templates then you have full control of your site with just a couple of base files.

Start reading about templates here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/templates.html