PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a novice

Rapture
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok, I'm finially ready to give up my FrontPage and buy Dreamweaver but I have some questions...

Please bare with me, I'm self taught.

1. I have about 15 sites built with FP, once I download Dreamweaver the sites be easily transferred over?

2. There are no classes for DW where I live, how similiar to FP is it? Is it an easy transition to learn on my own?

3. I'm assuming I will have to change my hosting plans to Linux? Can I just call my hosting company and they will take care of that?

4. Where is the best place or least expensive place to purchase the software? Ebay?

Thank you for your help!

edbr
09-06-2008, 01:03 AM
first its a good move to step away from FP.
1 depends on the sites
2 yes you can , inbuilt tuts , a book and this forum will help
3 no,not ness, but why not? usually cheaper i think
4 not sure cheapest. you can download a trial for 30 days from adobe

Chapo
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
www..lynda.com .... its a great source of Tutorials including DW...
or just Google DW... and finally come here.

Rapture
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you! I'll be back when the time comes. If anyone has anything else to add in the meantime, I appreciate it.

Cary
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Also, take a look at this article. DW 8 and CS3 don't have any differences that should matter as far as following this article goes.

Migrating from Microsoft FrontPage 2003 to Adobe Dreamweaver 8 (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/frontpage_to_dw8.html)

I didn't see it mentioned in the article, but it may happen that you load your page into DW but much of the page doesn't show up. This could be do to FP failing to close tags properly. If this happens, you can go into DW's Preferences. Under the Code Rewriting category you can check the box "Fix invalidly nested and unclosed tags" before loading the page (of which you made a backup) into DW. As the page is loaded, DW will correct the code and the previously missing page contents should appear.