PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Root Folder

jon015
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Basically when I designed my site I saved stuff everywhere and am now trying to get it into my root folder without breaking links. I know I need to do this within files window. I have worked out how to do it with my html pages, but how do I get my image folders and flash files and scripts in there without upsetting links?

edbr
09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
moving files in files panel DW updates the links.
or site> change links sitewide under
If you have doubts save a backup copy of your site in its original layout

jon015
09-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Can anyone help me with this? I have moved my html pages into my local website folder, but I need to get my image folders and flash files in there too. Since I have moved my html pages into my root folder, when I preview in browser they are blank, as they can't find the image folders. I know I need to do it in the files window, but can't work out how to move these in there? Thanks

jon015
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Anyone????

d a v e
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
edbr answered your question. you must have done something wrong ;)

jon015
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm confused! in the files window, I can see all folders on my computer, except for documents, where my image folders and flash files are stored. I can see no way of importing these in to the file window(root folder)? Thanks

domedia
09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
moving files in files panel DW updates the links.
or site> change links sitewide under
If you have doubts save a backup copy of your site in its original layout

Can anyone help me with this? Someone just did

d a v e
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
post a screen shot ...

jon015
09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Here are some screenshots. Every folder is in file window, except for documents? In dreamweaver manual it says I can add folders to root folder, but how?

d a v e
09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
the shot's a bit small ;)

to make a new folder right click (or apple/command click whatever your mac equivalent is) inside the site window and choose 'make new folder'

i am assuming you have defined a site in the site manager

jon015
09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
the shot's a bit small ;)

to make a new folder right click (or apple/command click whatever your mac equivalent is) inside the site window and choose 'make new folder'

i am assuming you have defined a site in the site manager

Sorry maybe did'nt make my post clear. I hav defined a site and know how to create a new folder, but how do I import files(pictures, flash files) in to that folder? Thanks

edbr
09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Just click and drag, or am i missing something here

jon015
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Just click and drag, or am i missing something here

But you can only click and drag within the files window? My document folder is not displayed in there, should I put everything on my desktop and then drag, I don't want to break up my links, when I move outside the documents folder, my html pages no longer display in browser, I get the little blue squares with question marks, as I have broken the original path and it can no longer find my image folders? Thanks

edbr
09-12-2008, 09:42 AM
How have you defined your site? Have you defined it?

jon015
09-12-2008, 09:55 AM
How have you defined your site? Have you defined it?

Yes I have defined it.

edbr
09-12-2008, 10:08 AM
you should have a root folder with your web pages in and folders within that I dont understand why My documents and your desktop come in to it.

Outside of DW,
make a folder call it ie 'my site' , copy your pages , image folders and any other folder you have and then define that folder as your new site

jon015
09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
you should have a root folder with your web pages in and folders within that I dont understand why My documents and your desktop come in to it.

Outside of DW,
make a folder call it ie 'my site' , copy your pages , image folders and any other folder you have and then define that folder as your new site

Ok I have done that and uploaded to server. But I get virtual directory denied message. Confused as my index.htm file is in there. Also I put all my images in one folder, but some of the pics have the same name, so it would not let me use the same filename twice, i.e multiple buttons(example) with the same name. Does the server just use the file with the same name or do you have to rename the same buttons(example) for different html pages? Thanks

Corrosive
09-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok I have done that and uploaded to server. But I get virtual directory denied message. Confused as my index.htm file is in there. Also I put all my images in one folder, but some of the pics have the same name, so it would not let me use the same filename twice, i.e multiple buttons(example) with the same name. Does the server just use the file with the same name or do you have to rename the same buttons(example) for different html pages? Thanks

Errrm, have you considered taking everything you have learned and just rebuilding this site with everything organised correctly and file names on images so that you don't have duplicates (if this is the way you want to do buttons)?

I used to do it all the time as adding and deleting stuff in DW can leave little bits of code floating around.

If you rebuild it is clean and organised and you will get rid of all the issues you are having.

jon015
09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Errrm, have you considered taking everything you have learned and just rebuilding this site with everything organised correctly and file names on images so that you don't have duplicates (if this is the way you want to do buttons)?

I used to do it all the time as adding and deleting stuff in DW can leave little bits of code floating around.

If you rebuild it is clean and organised and you will get rid of all the issues you are having.

Really want to avoid rebuilding, as it was quite complicated to get the layout right using tables and I don't know if I can remember how I done it or how to use CSS yet! Should these problems be affecting the fact that my index.htm is not displaying in the browser and I get the directory denied message, surely it should show something? Thanks

Corrosive
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Really want to avoid rebuilding, as it was quite complicated to get the layout right using tables and I don't know if I can remember how I done it or how to use CSS yet! Should these problems be affecting the fact that my index.htm is not displaying in the browser and I get the directory denied message, surely it should show something? Thanks

Fair enough. The answer is no, it shouldn't prevent your index from showing. If it is correctly uploaded to and showing in your 'public html' folder then it should display in your browser.