PDA

View Full Version : ordered lists not behaving the same inside cell

RainForest
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Hello,

I've got a series of ordered lists inside a cell. The lists that I set up before inserting the text into the cell have the item numbers inside the list box, but the lists that I set up after inserting the text into the cell have the item numbers outside the list box. What's going on with this, and how can I get them to all be consistent without taking everything back out of the cell? And why should it matter whether I'm working with the text inside or outside of a cell?

domedia
09-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Sounds like an element might not be closed, but it's only guessing of course.
URL?

RainForest
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, messy code seems to have been the problem. The text was originally a MS Word document, and it didn't come over too clean. Working in code view I was able to put the proper tags in the proper places. Thank you.

I have a related question - how can I get the text in the lists to display in "paragraph" font while inside the cell? (they're displaying in a style that I have not defined, and they look normal when not inside the cell.)

Corrosive
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, messy code seems to have been the problem. The text was originally a MS Word document, and it didn't come over too clean. Working in code view I was able to put the proper tags in the proper places. Thank you.

I have a related question - how can I get the text in the lists to display in "paragraph" font? (they're displaying in a style that I have not defined.)

In my experience copying stuff from Word Docs is fraught with problems. I think it comes with styling. I usually copy the text into notepad and then copy and paste it from there. Cleans it up.

Then style as usual with <p> tags.

RainForest
09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
OK. I'm not sure what's going on, but never mind on the related question. It's gotta have something to do with code, because NOW the lists are displaying the same inside the cell as outside!

I did end up taking the entire text out of the cell before establishing the remaining lists, and then cut and pasted it into the cell. So something is screwy there, but it can probably be chalked up to MS Word code fragments?

RainForest
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
In my experience copying stuff from Word Docs is fraught with problems. I think it comes with styling. I usually copy the text into notepad and then copy and paste it from there. Cleans it up.
Yeah, I've been doing that for years, too. But I thought DW was supposed to be able to handle Word documents...

I have noticed in recent years that even notepad doesn't remove all the code (such as special spacing), and have moved to another text editor called Notepad++, which shows hidden codes that you can then remove. Sweet.

Corrosive
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I've been doing that for years, too. But I thought DW was supposed to be able to handle Word documents...

He, he. Nothing can tame the beast :)

I have noticed in recent years that even notepad doesn't remove all the code (such as special spacing), and have moved to another text editor called Notepad++, which shows hidden codes that you can then remove. Sweet.

Care to share a link?

RainForest
09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Sure! Here you go: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

RainForest
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I have another related question: when doing ordered lists, is there a way to get DW to recognize that some of the items are indented? Most of my lists are more like outlines, and DW puts all the items into one list, ignoring the indents and special numbering.

Corrosive
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Sure! Here you go: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Cheers mate. Thank you very much :)

domedia
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I have another related question: when doing ordered lists, is there a way to get DW to recognize that some of the items are indented? Most of my lists are more like outlines, and DW puts all the items into one list, ignoring the indents and special numbering.
If you nest the list it should be no problem. How do you make them now?

RainForest
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh...nesting the list.... I hadn't considered that. What I've been doing is simply selecting the entire list and ordering it as a whole, but I think you are telling me I should do it section by section, inserting a nesting cell when the outline changes. And if I do it that way, will I have control over the numbering format?

domedia
09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
You have full control over lists with CSS. If you have some part of the list that belongs under an item on a list, you have to nest them. A list must semantically be built like this.

But I'm not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do either.. link? :)

RainForest
09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
OK, but don't laugh - it's just one page of a work in progress by a newbie who's stumbling through the creation process... http://tinyurl.com/6ojdze

domedia
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
ok, yes you just need to nest the list and control all styles, including what kind of bullets, numbers to use.

Example<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three w/Children
<ul>
<li>Child One</li>
<li>Child Two</li>
<li>Child Three</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Four</li>
<li>Five</li>
</ul>

RainForest
09-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Ah, that looks understandable. Thank you very much!

Also, sometimes I've got multiple paragraphs under one item number, which I can only separate out with a <br> or I lose the list. Is it possible to insert some "white" space in those places and/or in between items in a list, so long lists look more bite size and friendly to read?

domedia
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, but remember all styling is done through CSS, not <br>s

RainForest
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I've worked with basic HTML for years, and tend to forget to utilize CSS, which is new to me.

So am I on the right track with this: for an outline indent, I could create a class selector called say, outline1, and apply it to indents, and then style the outline1 element? Or should I use <div> tags?

Edit: I think I've got it!

domedia
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Only UL and LI's are needed.
To indent the list add a left-margin to the UL with CSS :)

Some good pages about this:
http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2003/10/19/styling_nested_lists.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html

RainForest
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
OK. Thank you very much. I truly appreciate the time you spent helping me. I will continue to work with this and study the info you provided.

RainForest
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm back at this again, and have been doing well nesting the lists.

I'd like to know if it's possible format the text - still inside a cell - in the list to match the attached CSS sheet. The user manual says to modify an existing rule or property, so I chose to modify the <p> tag. The CSS Rule Definition dialog box List options only include Type, Bullet image, and Position.

RainForest
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh - I've got it! I defined one style in <body> and another in <p>. Gotta watch that stuff...

d a v e
09-11-2008, 09:50 PM
there's no reason to layout your page in a table - simply use a div ;)

avoids some of these inheritance problems with lists within cells :)

RainForest
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
d a v e,

I have put all my text for each page within a cell, so I can easily modify the cell properties to control the look. Can you explain a little bit what advantages using div tags has?

d a v e
09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
well for a start you probably won't have the inheritance issues of lists within table cells.

tables are meant for tabular data only

a div - or division - is simply a container to hold content and it's cleaner than defining a table, tr and td(s).

you can control everything in the div using css.

domedia
09-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Another word for this is 'Web Standards' ;)

d a v e
09-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Another word for this is 'Web Standards' ;)

that's 2 words :)

Corrosive
09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
that's 2 words :)

He's got you there Domedia :wink:

domedia
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Rainforest, try this page. It's from Adobe and is geared towards DW users that wants to venture into the CSS world:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html

OT:
Toby: Here's 2 more words for ya '**** ***' !
*cough* ;-) j/k

RainForest
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
well for a start you probably won't have the inheritance issues of lists within table cells.

tables are meant for tabular data only

a div - or division - is simply a container to hold content and it's cleaner than defining a table, tr and td(s).

you can control everything in the div using css.

oic. Thanks for the tidbit. It does help. I did go thru an excellent DW tutorial that touched on div tags but not in any depth. The tutorial worked more with tables, hence my inclination to use them myself.

@domedia, thanks for the link - wow, what a lot of info there!