PDA

View Full Version : link up links? do tables suck?

walkamongus
09-03-2008, 03:09 AM
i used a table to organize some text on my page. what i want to happen is for ALL items in one column (3 rows) to display the rollover color when any one of the 3 items is rolled over, because even though they are separated, they link to the same place.

also, im wondering what the deal is in page properties when i change the link style, it seems like you can only have one type of link style per page, if youre adding the text in dreamweaver. is that true?

p.s. ive been at it for about a month and havent learned much code yet

edbr
09-03-2008, 03:48 AM
no you can have as many different link styles as you create. this is a recurring question and there are examples on here, last week I think was the last one
do a search

walkamongus
09-03-2008, 04:06 AM
right on edbr that answered my second question. thanks.

neonfluxx
09-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Okay I think I heard this question a million times so i will try to explain this the best I can.

First: Tables or <td> is meant for displaying data not standard content. So if your using languages such as php and asp then you want to use tables to display the data results in that section of the site only.

Second: Division / Section or <div> is meant for the display or layout of content. Div's are controlled by CSS and so that will help cut down on the difference between browsers.

So to answer the question. Tables don't suck if used properly.

Corrosive
09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
no you can have as many different link styles as you create. this is a recurring question and there are examples on here, last week I think was the last one
do a search

Guys, bear with me but I intend to sticky the most asked and obvious questions and the best answers I can find. I would appreciate any nods towards well written replies if you stumble across any.

walkamongus
09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
i appreciate the replies. i havent solved the first question in my post yet. this is what the text looks like on my page...

link1 link2
link1 link3
link1 link4

what i want is for all of the "link 1's", to hilight when any one of them is rolled over. but because they are on different lines, they hilight separately. it doesnt matter to me if it is in a table or a div, as long as it works. the only solution to this i have found is by using flash text... the only problem with flash is that there is a lot of empty (active) space around the text that activates the rollover color and to me looks like a sloppy design, and i want it to be sleek and tight. MANY THANKS

neonfluxx
09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
You have two choices. One is to go to the page properties under the <modify> up top in the taskbar. The go to the word in the white box on the left side. The you will see words like rollover and active. Set your colors there.

Second is to do a separate style sheet and set the stuff there.

(I.E.)

}
a:link {
color: #000000;
}
a:visited {
color: #0000FF;
}
a:hover {
color: #990033;
}
a:active {
color: #00FFFF;
}

walkamongus
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
i seem to not be explaining this properly. here is my site... http://knewdesigns.org/ i would like ALL of the words in my name to display the rollover color in UNISON, as opposed to separately, like they do now. because they all link to my index page. im starting to go a little crazy.

Cary
09-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Try something like this:

<table width="200" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td rowspan="3"><a class="style28" href="index.html"><span class="style13">tim</span><br /><span class="style15">robert</span><br /><span class="style17">cox</span></a></td>
<td><div align="right" class="style13 style28"><a href="art.html" class="style21">art</a></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="right" class="style27"><a href="design.html">design</a></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="right" class="style17 style28"><a href="web.html">web</a></div></td>
</tr>
</table>

walkamongus
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
thanks tons cary! that solved it! saved me a lot of frustration