PDA

View Full Version : Take values from a form to another page?

jakc
09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I am limited to IIS environment.

Bit new to this, so talk s-l-o-w-l-y.

I have created a form with the usual submit button. Its just got 3 text boxes consisting of a text string (name) and two integers (Longitude & Latitude)

I was thinking the best way would be to store this information in a database.
Q1 - Can you write records to Access .Mdb databases with web-forms? I guess this is bad practise but this is just for self development purposes for now.
- I know there are MySQL/PHP alternatives but I dont think i want to go down that route for this example.

OR

Q2...alternatively can I just send these three values onto another page, where it will perhaps temporarily store them for the duration of the web session (until the user leaves the second page)?
- i.e. I was going to plot the information onto a google map (fairly straight forward using Google Maps API). From there, the user can then check if its in the right place and click a confirm button, which will THEN save the data into a database (worry about this step later)

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

What would you suggest?

edbr
09-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Q1 go down the php mysql road, sooner the better.
Q2sending from a form using POST can be gathered by
$_POST['name of form field'] ;

davidj
09-03-2008, 06:52 AM
why IIS ??

jakc
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
why IIS ??Because my client uses it.

davidj
09-04-2008, 08:06 AM
ahh

are you using ASP

jakc
09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I guess so - I created my form using the spry validation boxes - perhaps I should have created the form in VS2008. Think i need to do a bit more research on this - have been thrown in at the deep end...

davidj
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
you need to find out what scripting language he is using

if your not tied to using asp then comeback and we will get you all savy with php

jakc
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I do like the idea of using PHP (have done some simple stuff with it with developing Google Maps).

Basically, at this stage I am just developing stuff for self-development purposes on my own computer.

However, if I develop something that a client likes, it would be good it I didnt have to radically re-write the project to fit in with their supported technologies.

Saying that, it wouldnt hurt to learn a bit more about PHP - if the application gets the client interested, then im happy.

Ok, so hit me. How do i take the values from my form to the next page... PHP or otherwise.

davidj
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
in PHP you can use a couple of methods

you could use a session ( $_SESSION['id'] )

once set...

$_SESSION['id'] = 1;

$_SESSION['id'] will always == 1 throughout the session of the user

if you choose to go down this route we can get together and will discuss this in more depth