View Full Version : Take values from a form to another page?

09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I am limited to IIS environment.

Bit new to this, so talk s-l-o-w-l-y.

I have created a form with the usual submit button. Its just got 3 text boxes consisting of a text string (name) and two integers (Longitude & Latitude)

I was thinking the best way would be to store this information in a database.
Q1 - Can you write records to Access .Mdb databases with web-forms? I guess this is bad practise but this is just for self development purposes for now.
- I know there are MySQL/PHP alternatives but I dont think i want to go down that route for this example.

Q2...alternatively can I just send these three values onto another page, where it will perhaps temporarily store them for the duration of the web session (until the user leaves the second page)?
- i.e. I was going to plot the information onto a google map (fairly straight forward using Google Maps API). From there, the user can then check if its in the right place and click a confirm button, which will THEN save the data into a database (worry about this step later)

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

What would you suggest?

09-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Q1 go down the php mysql road, sooner the better.
Q2sending from a form using POST can be gathered by
$_POST['name of form field'] ;

09-03-2008, 05:52 AM
why IIS ??

09-03-2008, 08:48 AM
why IIS ??Because my client uses it.

09-04-2008, 07:06 AM

are you using ASP

09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I guess so - I created my form using the spry validation boxes - perhaps I should have created the form in VS2008. Think i need to do a bit more research on this - have been thrown in at the deep end...

09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
you need to find out what scripting language he is using

if your not tied to using asp then comeback and we will get you all savy with php

09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I do like the idea of using PHP (have done some simple stuff with it with developing Google Maps).

Basically, at this stage I am just developing stuff for self-development purposes on my own computer.

However, if I develop something that a client likes, it would be good it I didnt have to radically re-write the project to fit in with their supported technologies.

Saying that, it wouldnt hurt to learn a bit more about PHP - if the application gets the client interested, then im happy.

Ok, so hit me. How do i take the values from my form to the next page... PHP or otherwise.

09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
in PHP you can use a couple of methods

you could use a session ( $_SESSION['id'] )

once set...

$_SESSION['id'] = 1;

$_SESSION['id'] will always == 1 throughout the session of the user

if you choose to go down this route we can get together and will discuss this in more depth