PDA

View Full Version : Background Colour/Image

jon015
09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I nearly have my first website complete using dreamweaver and table layouts. I want to give my homepage a gradient colour background and the rest a solid colour. When I apply all these, it leaves big white gaps around my template from the table borders, I have tried deleting these, but it deletes the whole table. In all the tutorials I have read it does not mention this, am I mean't to get rid of the table or similar after it is complete? Thanks

Corrosive
09-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I nearly have my first website complete using dreamweaver and table layouts. I want to give my homepage a gradient colour background and the rest a solid colour. When I apply all these, it leaves big white gaps around my template from the table borders, I have tried deleting these, but it deletes the whole table. In all the tutorials I have read it does not mention this, am I mean't to get rid of the table or similar after it is complete? Thanks

Can you set the borders on tables to '0'?

jon015
09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Can you set the borders on tables to '0'?

I think the borders are set to 0, it says 0 in the property inspector?

edbr
09-02-2008, 09:25 AM
are they links?

jon015
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
are they links?

Sorry don't understand your question, are what links? Basically my template is rectangle and I want the background behind it a gradient colour. How Do I apply it, that it is only in the background and there are no gaps or showing in the middle of my template? I'm using tables.

Corrosive
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Sorry don't understand your question, are what links? Basically my template is rectangle and I want the background behind it a gradient colour. How Do I apply it, that it is only in the background and there are no gaps or showing in the middle of my template? I'm using tables.

Total guess mate as I am not great (understatement) with tables. Go to page properties > appearance and then set the margins on the page all to '0'. Otherwise I'm fresh out of ideas and will only say 'well you should be using CSS and Div Tags really' :wink:

domedia
09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
To add a gradient and a solid color:

body { background: url(directory/gradient.jpg) repeat-x #335577;}

Create the tiling gradient in Photoshop or whatever your graphic software is. The hex color defines the solid color.
The repeat defines which way the gradient repeat, on the X or Y axis.

edbr
09-03-2008, 01:35 AM
re links , sorry completely mis read your problem. Not enough coffee maybe:)

jon015
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
I have managed to sort the background problem to an extent. I am going to upload the site later to show my problem as its too complicated to explain. Although a new problem has developed now, when I apply a solid background colour, it appears in the middle of my template behind a box with some text and behind some of my buttons. I don't understand why, because when I imported them from fireworks, they were sliced jpegs with a white background? As soon as I finish this site, I'm learning CSS, as working with tables is a nightmare!

Corrosive
09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
As soon as I finish this site, I'm learning CSS, as working with tables is a nightmare!

Amen to that. You will find CSS has it's own bank of problems but at least you'll be designing like a pro. :)

Let us know when you've got the site uploaded Jon.