PDA

View Full Version : shtml

aestronza
08-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Can anyone explain what and how to use SHTML?

I am thinking of taking on a client whose site was being maintained by a web person who also hosted their site. Now that the web person is going to be moving out of area they have decided not to host or maintain the site anymore. If I take this client, I would not be hosting, only maintaining. I would have to seek out a hosting company.

I've noticed that their pages are SHTML and I am used to HTML pages. So, in addition to my previous question, can anyone advise me on whether or not working w/these types of pages would be an easy transition for me or not.

domedia
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I think what you're saying is that the page EXTENSION is '.shtml'

This a common extension for using server side includes. The basics of SSI is adding contents from file into another.

It is not in replacement for HTML, they are not related at all. One is a server side language, the other belongs in the client browser.

aestronza
09-03-2008, 02:38 AM
I think what you're saying is that the page EXTENSION is '.shtml'

This a common extension for using server side includes. The basics of SSI is adding contents from file into another.

It is not in replacement for HTML, they are not related at all. One is a server side language, the other belongs in the client browser.

I've been doing some research online and have found some good articles (http://www.buildguide.net/start/shtml_tutorial.php) that explains it to be similar to frames, which shouldn't be so terrible.

However, that brings me to another quesion ... would you have a recommendation on a hosting company that supports these file types?

domedia
09-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Any host that supports SSI can be used.

SSI are nothing like frames btw :) Frames is another client side thing, not server side.
Do you understand the concept of server side scripts and where they run? Just trying to get a picture here so I can explain properly.

aestronza
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I will put it to you this way ... this is the FIRST time I've ever seen files with the extenstion shtml.

Cary
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Basically, the server handles .htm and .html pages normally, but when a page ending with .shtml is requested from the server, the server first looks at the page to find this sort of code:

<!--#include virtual="menu.html" -->

or

<!--#include file="menu.html" -->

Menu.html isn't a complete html file. The .shtml file will have all the necessary code for the page except for that portion which is in the menu.html file, in this example.

When the .shtml file is requested by the browser, the server creates a page to send to the browser which has the include code replaced with the code in menu.html.

This allows you to use one file to describe a menu which appears on multiple pages. Change just that one file and the menu is changed for all the pages in which it appears.

A couple posts in this (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25486) thread may be helpful.

Post #10 has code for creating a full page using an .shtml file with two includes.

In post #5 I tried to explain how to come up with this code so it fits cleanly together.