PDA

View Full Version : Template help needed...

morepower
08-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry to jump into this forum with a dumb question..... So Sorry if this is really basic.. I have been using Dreamweaver MX while I was doing a college course. Now I already had a website done by someone else a few years ago and now I want to be able to work on it myself.

This is where I have hit a snag. I have built a small micro site and registered a sub domain so I have added it in another folder in my htdocs folder. The micro site works but I cannot edit the templates I used to create the few pages I have already done. How do I get the templates I have been using to work now I have placed this new small site onto my FTP. I do have a copy of all the templates in the root directory on my laptop but if I make changes they do not do anything to the site. Will I have to recreate the pages using the templates in the root directory on my laptop?

edbr
08-30-2008, 12:48 AM
no the template .dwt file might be on the site but could be on the coputer od the bod that made them.
the templates you talk about are pages made based on that, at least thats what i think you mean.
you can use the existing files but alter some of the code, the templating code and maybe (probably ) alter the paths to images and style sheets.

post the code of one of your pages and we can guide you

morepower
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I think I have found how to make it work. I have created a new template and applied it to the pages I needed to change. It seems to work OK.

Corrosive
08-31-2008, 06:59 AM
I think I have found how to make it work. I have created a new template and applied it to the pages I needed to change. It seems to work OK.

Just remember that you won't get the full benefit from templates doing it this way. I.e. any changes you make to the template will only change some of your pages. The nice thing about using CSS and a template is you have nearly full control over the look and feel of your site using only a couple of base files.

morepower
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Just remember that you won't get the full benefit from templates doing it this way. I.e. any changes you make to the template will only change some of your pages. The nice thing about using CSS and a template is you have nearly full control over the look and feel of your site using only a couple of base files.

The site will only have about 3 layouts which relate to several different requirments. It has been kept basic as I have only just finished a 12 week nightschool course which started with the basics and it will evolve as I gain experience. The original site was created by one of my wifes workmates about 6 years ago and need an update so I wanted to learn how to create a website so I could either update or create a whole new one to bring it up to date.

Here is a link to what I have done so far. It is just to make sure it works and any template changes I do work. It is not graphically finished as I do want to change the banner and give the background a more bike related feel. I know it is not really linked from the main site but I do not want to really get visitors here yet as I have not finished putting content into the rest of it yet.

http://www.p3unlimited.com/suzuki-superlite/Suzuki-index.html

I know the smaller pictures under the main one lead to new pages rather than just change the larger picture but as the moment I do not know how to do the changes and keep it within the same page, or if that is possible with dreamweaver.....

Corrosive
08-31-2008, 12:18 PM
The site will only have about 3 layouts which relate to several different requirments. It has been kept basic as I have only just finished a 12 week nightschool course which started with the basics and it will evolve as I gain experience.

That's a fair shout.

The original site was created by one of my wifes workmates about 6 years ago and need an update so I wanted to learn how to create a website so I could either update or create a whole new one to bring it up to date.

Personally I hate trying to second guess how other people have built sites and, to be honest, in six years web design has come a long way. I'd look at starting from scratch. That way you'll know exactly what everything does and how. The site is also built using tables and you should be looking at a CSS based design.

I know the smaller pictures under the main one lead to new pages rather than just change the larger picture but as the moment I do not know how to do the changes and keep it within the same page, or if that is possible with dreamweaver

This is possible using something called 'server behaviours' and show/hide layer or apdiv (depending on which vers of DW you are on.) This needs a CSS based site though and I'm unsure if it can be done with tables.

morepower
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
That's a fair shout.

Personally I hate trying to second guess how other people have built sites and, to be honest, in six years web design has come a long way. I'd look at starting from scratch. That way you'll know exactly what everything does and how. The site is also built using tables and you should be looking at a CSS based design.

This is possible using something called 'server behaviours' and show/hide layer or apdiv (depending on which vers of DW you are on.) This needs a CSS based site though and I'm unsure if it can be done with tables.

I know things have changed and as I was unable to do much about it I was stuck just changing things in the most simplistic way. So if you look at the main p3unlimited pages it has been like that give or take a few picture and text changes since day one. As the focus of the business is evolving I do intend to turn the few pages you have seen into the main site once all the content has been added. So I hope to spend time learning as much as possible to make it easier to create the site into something I am happy with.

Corrosive
08-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I know things have changed and as I was unable to do much about it I was stuck just changing things in the most simplistic way. So if you look at the main p3unlimited pages it has been like that give or take a few picture and text changes since day one. As the focus of the business is evolving I do intend to turn the few pages you have seen into the main site once all the content has been added. So I hope to spend time learning as much as possible to make it easier to create the site into something I am happy with.

Cool. Well you can always ask questions here. Did your course include CSS? If not you can read quite a bit about it here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/css_concepts.html