PDA

View Full Version : DW CS3 - to buy or not to buy

Silinman
08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Newcomer to this forum - I've been using DW for almost 10 years now, and currently use DW Studio 8 which I have come to know and love as my primary tool. Browsing the Adobe site, I came across the sales pitch for Dreamweaver CS3, and downloaded the 30 day trial version for a look see.

My first impressions were not good - the installer took the best part of 30-40 minutes to install, and when I finally got access to the program I was sorely disappointed.

Everything looked exactly the same as my Studio 8 version, the only major difference I could immediately spot were the CSS based site templates.

Any developer worth his or her salt should be able to design a basic 2 or 3 column CSS based layout - so what is the big deal, and why would I pay 280 odd for CS3.

Your opinions or thoughts would be most welcome.

d a v e
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
i would wait for the cs4 versions to come and and look at those with a view to buying. the cs4 betas are on the adobe site for trialling.

Corrosive
08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I think if you are new to DW then may as well buy the latest version but I am like you and can't see anything tempting enough for me to upgrade. I am trying to just use code view and the 'hints' function anyway. I'd spend your hard earned s on something else until we see what CS4 has to offer. :-D

Death Dream
08-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I actually don't like CS4, the new setup was a bit to much for me to handle. It was like when they changed Maya 7 to 8 in the take over. Change is confusing! I'll only switch over if I have to.

~Death Dream~

Ricky55
08-29-2008, 01:42 AM
There was quite a few updates between 8 and CS3 like the introduction of the Spry Menu but with CS4 due out soon it would be bad time to buy CS3.

Wait and check out CS4, for me it looks good, better interface and the new Live View looks good.

Silinman
08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks all for your input, I wasn't aware CS4 was in the pipeline so that sounds lilke good advice to wait and see what that has to offer!