PDA

View Full Version : Advice on best method for playing with images

ChromeKaldra
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi, i'm new to Dw and have browsed through several threads within this sub-topic. It appears the overal moral from those threads [i read them hoping for an answer to my problem] is to learn CSS, and not use tables for images. That's fine and all, and i take it to heart. I just want to get something done so i don't quit this altogether. :D

So, onto my problem; :lol:

Basically, i created a new file, and chose HTML, with no layout. So i get a blank screen with the blinking cursor. I proceed to go Insert-> image and place my large image that is intended to be my background. [this is probably the wrong thing to do isn't it?] However, i can't nudge it over to the co-ordinates of 0,0. It's 'unmovable' and i see no better alternative for placing my images around. Additionally, when i place another image, they stack vertically rather than ontop of another. [which is what i'm after.] So when i preview my page in firefox, i have a white border around my image, yet my image is 1024x960 [my screen resol.] I can see that some gets cut off on the right and bottom edges. Is it possible to move this 'image' around?

I'm probably wrong in the fundamentals aren't I?

I'm basically looking for advice on how to deal with images in Dw.

edbr
08-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm probably wrong in the fundamentals aren't I?yes. you can use images as backgrounds to a page or divisions or insert them into a division or page. an example .
#wrapper {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
width: auto;
height: 100%;
position: relative;
background-image: url(../images/bkg.jpg);
background-position: right;
background-repeat: repeat-y;

}
you will have to do some reading on css i think.also, if you insert images into a division, you will have control over the position of the division

ChromeKaldra
08-23-2008, 04:09 AM
yes. you can use images as backgrounds to a page or divisions or insert them into a division or page. an example .
#wrapper {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
width: auto;
height: 100%;
position: relative;
background-image: url(../images/bkg.jpg);
background-position: right;
background-repeat: repeat-y;

}
you will have to do some reading on css i think.also, if you insert images into a division, you will have control over the position of the division

I take it division is the 'div' thingy the tutorials talk about. I created one, and placed an image (as/with) it. I was not able to determine how to nudge it around. :( I'm afraid baby steps are all you'll get out of me.

Previously i set my background image as the background, but i got a strange scaling/tiling effect, plus all my images i placed after such were not aligned properly.

edbr
08-23-2008, 04:56 AM
yes div thingy.you can add all sorts of atributes to a div ,ie marginstop,bottom,left right etc

the tiling effect is normal unless you add
background-repeat: none;