PDA

View Full Version : Layout

Ro beE
08-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Heya,

I'm a newby to the land of dreamweaver and was hoping to get some advice on a couple of things...

I'm setting up a basic webpage and in doing so looking to set some elements up ie. head banner, navigation text buttons. To get the positions i'm finding i need to setup spots for them to be imported to so i'm wondering which method is more commonly used and practical - draw an AP area and importing the image, or setting layout mode and drawing a table with individual cells in the selected positions. What is the main benifit or negative of either?

Secondly, i wanted to position the text to be used as navigation buttons around the site stacked vertically rather than horizontally and tried drawing a cell to import the images... they imported alright but would only sit side by side and i couldnt figure out how to get them on top of each other... is there an easier way to do this??

Thirdly, if the website was to be a blog style site so more and more content would be added heading downward would initially setting it up in table layout mode with a large table drawn around the initial content have any limiting effect on this?

Apreciatte your help...

Ro beE

edbr
08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
will need some code to see the problem

Secondly, i wanted to position the text to be used as navigation buttons around the site stacked vertically rather than horizontally and tried drawing a cell to import the images... they imported alright but would only sit side by side and i couldnt figure out how to get them on top of each other... is there an easier way to do this??

Corrosive
08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Heya,

I'm a newby to the land of dreamweaver and was hoping to get some advice on a couple of things...

I'm setting up a basic webpage and in doing so looking to set some elements up ie. head banner, navigation text buttons. To get the positions i'm finding i need to setup spots for them to be imported to so i'm wondering which method is more commonly used and practical - draw an AP area and importing the image, or setting layout mode and drawing a table with individual cells in the selected positions. What is the main benifit or negative of either?

Thirdly, if the website was to be a blog style site so more and more content would be added heading downward would initially setting it up in table layout mode with a large table drawn around the initial content have any limiting effect on this?

Apreciatte your help...

Ro beE

The 'common and practicle' way to build a site is with CSS and div tags. Don't use tables. Here's why...

http://webdesign.about.com/od/layout/a/aa111102a.htm

CSS will answer all the questions you have written above (no, honestly) but you will need to take time to learn it, do some tutorials, play about with some designs. Please don't expect that you can pick up DW and have a site built in a week. :)

Ro beE
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
The 'common and practicle' way to build a site is with CSS and div tags. Don't use tables. Here's why...

http://webdesign.about.com/od/layout/a/aa111102a.htm

CSS will answer all the questions you have written above (no, honestly) but you will need to take time to learn it, do some tutorials, play about with some designs. Please don't expect that you can pick up DW and have a site built in a week. :)

No worries thanks Corrosive, i dont at all think that and have been watching a bundle of tutorials and am eager to learn; whether it takes 2 years or 2 months. I understand the concept of CSS and reasons why they're benificial and efficient. So does that mean the answer would be set these areas up as AP CSS styles?

Corrosive
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
No worries thanks Corrosive, i dont at all think that and have been watching a bundle of tutorials and am eager to learn; whether it takes 2 years or 2 months. I understand the concept of CSS and reasons why they're benificial and efficient. So does that mean the answer would be set these areas up as AP CSS styles?

Yes, set these up with CSS but try and steer clear of Absolutely Positioned elements for actual site structure. Look at using relatively positioned Div Tags. It's good you are eager to learn and we will help all we can :)