PDA

View Full Version : Inserting flash video

DaveB
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Still fairly new to all this but plodding along.
If I try and place a flash video in a page I get this message "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. This change will be discarded." Can't get past that. Any ideas please or is there a better format of video to use on DW8

Thanks
Dave

Corrosive
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Still fairly new to all this but plodding along.
If I try and place a flash video in a page I get this message "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. This change will be discarded." Can't get past that. Any ideas please or is there a better format of video to use on DW8

Thanks
Dave

Flash video is fine to use on the web. I think your problem is that you are trying to insert the flash in a page created from a Dreamweaver template (.dwt) file and you cannot insert stuff where there isn't an 'editable region'.

If you have created a page from a template you have built or downloaded you'll have to see where the editable regions are and change them. Suggest you read up on templates in DW and how they work.

DaveB
08-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Flash video is fine to use on the web. I think your problem is that you are trying to insert the flash in a page created from a Dreamweaver template (.dwt) file and you cannot insert stuff where there isn't an 'editable region'.

If you have created a page from a template you have built or downloaded you'll have to see where the editable regions are and change them. Suggest you read up on templates in DW and how they work.

Thanks for your help, I shall try again but I'm prettty sure I am in an editable region.
Dave

edbr
08-23-2008, 04:59 AM
post your code

Corrosive
08-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your help, I shall try again but I'm prettty sure I am in an editable region.
Dave

Hi Dave

This problem is related to the "Prompt users to download Flash Player if necessary" checkbox in the Insert Flash Video dialog box. In the template child page, the <body> tag is locked. The "detect Flash Player" JavaScript function (MM_CheckFlashVersion) is trying to add the onLoad attribute to the locked <body> tag which is causing the problem.

To workaround this problem, there are a couple of different options:

Make a parent template page that already contains the Flash Player detection code.
Insert the Flash Video into the child page created from the template, without the Flash Player detection code. To do this, uncheck the "Prompt users to download Flash Player if necessary" checkbox in the Insert Flash Video dialog box.I cannot take the credit for this answer it came from here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/

Hope it helps.

Cary
08-23-2008, 11:16 PM
If you have "Insert using browser-safe scripts" checked in the "Code Rewriting" category of Preferences, you'll also need to include this in the head of the parent template page:

<script src="Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Then you also need the Scripts folder with that .js file. The path above assumes your page is in the site's the root folder which is where the Scripts folder belongs.

DaveB
08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Got it - thanks guys
Not checking the "Prompt users to download Flash etc" is all that it took.

So that's me a lot less stressed - until the next time!!!
Cheers

Dave