PDA

View Full Version : Pattern sizes for repeating backgrounds

Corrosive
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
OK, here's the crack

I have downloaded some extra patterns for PS (CS2 btw). You know the kind of thing...flock wallpaper, candy stripes...all the 'modern' background stuff. Obviously what I want to do is create an image to be tiled so that the pattern lines up but I save download time/server space. Question is, are the patterns set sizes? I have been playing with sizes for my tile 300 x 300, 250 x 250 etc. and I can't get it to line up quite right. Is there a simple answer i.e. if you apply your pattern to a square of Xpx x Xpx then it will line up or are they all different sizes?

I hope the is makes sense. :)

domedia
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Patterns come in all sizes, no norm. The tricky part is to make them so they line up.
If you link to a file you want tiled, I can show you how.

Corrosive
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Patterns come in all sizes, no norm. The tricky part is to make them so they line up.
If you link to a file you want tiled, I can show you how.

Okay http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk/_projects/layout_test.htm I need this background wallpaper pattern to tile right. I have a background in Photoshop and need to find out what the right size of image to create if I want to apply the background perfectly so that it tiles. Make sense?

domedia
08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
1. Open your original psd in PS
2. Set a vertical and horizontal guide anywhere on the image
3. Look at the pixel row to the right of the vertical guide. Now add a new guide to the left of the next similar row of pixels on the right side of your first guide.
4. Do the same technique on the horizontal line.

The guides should now make a square which is a perfect tiling image.

But how in gods name where you able to make your current tiling background image? Can't you just repeat that process? :)

Corrosive
08-20-2008, 09:08 PM
But how in gods name where you able to make your current tiling background image? Can't you just repeat that process? :)

As usual Domedia...more by luck than judgement :wink:

Thanks for the method. I've got a few more backgrounds downloaded I want to try it on so will give it a go tomorrow.

Do you want to see a cat with four ears?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Yoda-The-Cat-With-Four-Ears/Article/200808315083053

Enjoy :)

domedia
08-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Reading my explanation now.. I hope it makes sense.. It really is logic once you get it.

Corrosive
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Reading my explanation now.. I hope it makes sense.. It really is logic once you get it.

I'll add to the thread if I get stuck mate. Cheers :)

davidj
08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
found this

http://www.designshard.com/freebies/ultimate-source-for-tiled-background-patterns/

Corrosive
08-22-2008, 05:57 AM
found this

http://www.designshard.com/freebies/ultimate-source-for-tiled-background-patterns/

That is spot on DJ. Thank you very much :) :)

That should keep me in tiles for months!

Corrosive
08-22-2008, 05:36 PM
That is spot on DJ. Thank you very much :) :)

That should keep me in tiles for months!

Just to add to this that they state what size image you would need for each to tile at correctly, which completely answers my original question. Thanks again DJ

domedia
08-22-2008, 06:01 PM
That size would only be true for the images used int he article. Tiles can be any size height and width, as ,long is it correctly tiles the image.

Corrosive
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
That size would only be true for the images used int he article. Tiles can be any size height and width, as ,long is it correctly tiles the image.

Yes, this is true but almost every pattern on Deviant Art has a size guide for correct tiling. As I said, it should last me a few months as there are hundreds :) .

Rob_Che
08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
...almost every pattern on Deviant Art has a size guide for correct tiling

Not that it matters... but wht do you mean?
The tile IS a size - you don't tell it what size it is and a tile can be any size as long as the image tessalates surely ?

Rob

As I said... not that it matters...

Corrosive
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Not that it matters... but wht do you mean?
The tile IS a size - you don't tell it what size it is and a tile can be any size as long as the image tessalates surely ?

Rob

As I said... not that it matters...

It's getting the pattern to tessalate was my problem Rob. Knowing what size the starting image needs to be, for my tile, in order to get the whole pattern to line up right and show a continuous pattern on the page. E.g. if a wallpaper PS pattern needs to fill a 200 X 200 image before you get the whole pattern, then putting it on a 150 X 150 image to make a tile would look terrible.

Rob_Che
08-26-2008, 12:41 PM
ah ok... I thought you were starting with a tile and working out what size it needed to be.

As you've already figured now, it's just a case of working out exactly where the image begins to repeat verically and horizontally.

As you were ;)

Corrosive
08-26-2008, 01:11 PM
ah ok... I thought you were starting with a tile and working out what size it needed to be.

No, I'd hope I would be able to figure that out :wink:

Have added you on MSN btw Rob.