PDA

View Full Version : please help with adding text...

claire83
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi- Im new to the forum and even newer to Dreamweaver.
Ive just started putting a site together using a youtube tutorial which has gone really well. Ive designed my layout in photoshop, then put it into imageready to edit/slice, saved as html- then opened with dreamweaver. I found it easy this way, and rollovers can be made within the html file in image ready.
Anyway- heres where the problems started- Im trying to add text over on image. The tutorial I went off said to cut the image from the Src then paste it into the Bg field so that you can type over it- but it goes nuts! When you enter at the end of text lines the image begins to repeat itself underneath and white blocks show up at the side of the image!?
Is there a way to just easily type over on image- i tried doing this in image ready which works, but saves the text as an image, but I want the text to be recognised by google- Im confused- please help.
I was reading about tables and adding the image as a table background- but positioning the table in the correct place is confusing too- told you i was a newbie!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Claire

Ricky55
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Text will only be reconised by Google if its real text and text as part of an image like you suspected is not real text.

You are right to want to use real text for this reason and there are other good reasons. To type over an image the image does have to be set as a background image. Should really be using Divs and CSS not tables.

There's really too much to go into here but do a few tutorials, you really need to be creating Divs and adding background images to these.

Do you have a design that we can have a look at?

claire83
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Well this is my design- I dont want anything fancy- just a few rollover buttons- left and right panel- header footer and content. I want the text to be in the brown box in the centre. My head is mashed- been looking through tutorials all day haha!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/clairefryatt/newfictionwebsite.jpg

domedia
08-18-2008, 02:21 PM
The tutorial I went off said to cut the image from the Src then paste it into the Bg field so that you can type over it- but it goes nuts! When you enter at the end of text lines the image begins to repeat itself underneath and white blocks show up at the side of the image!? This is the default behavior for all background images. Just set the background to not repeat through CSS.

Ricky55
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Are you ok with this now Claire or do you still need some help?

Like your design btw.

claire83
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks! I'm still a little stuck actually :confused:

I've created a new CSS for the content block- by adding new div tag etc etc. then setting the background to the brown block GIF but it doesnt show up, it brings up Content for id "content_block" Goes Here??

Im really sorry- how dense of me lol.

Is there any way of just adding content over an image- like on a new layer or something- Ive sorted my buttons/rollovers and other pages- its just the adding content that im struggling with.

Thanks for you help guys! :-D

domedia
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
claire, I think you need to learn the basics, only the basics, of html and css, before you can expect to make a web page. :)

The text "Content for id "content_block" Goes Here" shows up because that is the data you have on your webpage. If you don't want it there, you need to be able to know how to edit it.

If your background image is not showing up, most likely the path to the image is wrong, but it's very hard to guess what's wrong with something you cannot see.

claire83
08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I found this tutorial video and this is what ive been following
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ff0FsvR1aw

at 8mins 30secs he starts telling you how to insert new div tag as the jpeg will not let you add content- I follows exactly what he does but like I said in my previous post the "text here" quote shows up but not the image like his does??

thx - claire

Ricky55
08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Claire I can't watch any more that has got to be the worst video tutorial I have ever seen, the guy can't even read let alone use Dreamweaver.

The methods he's taking you through are totally wrong.

If you want some quality video training check out
Lynda.com or
totaltraining.com

These aren't free btw.

Getting back to your problem, your design wouldn't take long to layout in CSS so like Dom said I would really encourage you to try to learn.

If you want a quick fix with tables, you don't need to insert a Div tag all you need to do to add content and an image to a cell is make the image a background image.

If you place your cursor inside the table cell, remove any image thats there, then link to your image and enter the size of the image into the table cell size, see my attachment for details.

claire83
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Cool! Thanks for that man.

Ive bought some tutorial books today from amazon which had really good reviews, so Im gunna learn from the start. That youtube tutorial is quite humorous!

I just wanted to get my site up and running quickly to promote my business as Ive just set up my own company. Ive got signage on my car and leaflets printed with my website address- just wanted something up for potential clients to see.

If I can just get something that looks good up for now- even if the way I have done it isnt perfect I'll be happy! I'll try what you suggested- fingers crossed :wink:

Deffo need to learn how to use dreamweaver properly...

Thanks for all your help guys!
Claire

edbr
08-19-2008, 03:24 AM
have a look at the templates and maybe download a couple on this site , if you see bits you like, look at the css sheet you might learn from them. we can always help if you pull the wires out and cant get them back in the box :)
there are a couple with multiple layouts there

claire83
08-20-2008, 12:18 PM
well, Ive got a site put together- just one thing though...

Ive created a form in dreamweaver with name, email address and query fields. Ive put a submit button, but how do I create the link for the button to send the form to my email address. do I use the mailto code as the action? where would I put this?

This is the code for the form...
<div id="Layer6">
<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
<label><span class="style3">Name:<br>
<input type="text" name="textfield">
</span></label>
<p>
<span class="style3">
<label>Email:<br>
<input type="text" name="textfield2">
</label>
</span></p>