PDA

View Full Version : Website Different in Certain Browsers

dlaw13
08-14-2008, 06:41 PM
My website that I have been working on in Dreamweaver looks different when I upload it to the internet and view it in certain browsers like Firefox. The images in layers tend to jump around a lot. The website is slidedummy.info. What could the problem be? Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ricky55
08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
All browser interpret your code and display in different ways, this is a pain for all web designers.

Safari and Firefox tend to display things correctly where Internet Explorer doesn't so you need to make sure you test on most browsers.

Layers are actually just absolutely positioned DIV's in fact in Dreamweaver CS3 I don't think they are called layers any more.

The reason for the jumping around will probably be down to padding and or margin and the differences I mentioned between the browsers before.

You could try zeroing out the margin and padding for the layers that are misbehaving.

To do this add margin and padding value to your layers css as follows:

#layer {
position:absolute;
left:55px;
top:64px;
width:264px;
height:189px;
z-index:1;
background-color: red;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

By the way using layers is not really recommended for full site layouts. Check out some of the CSS tutorials on this and other sites to learn better methods.

Corrosive
08-14-2008, 07:31 PM
My website that I have been working on in Dreamweaver looks different when I upload it to the internet and view it in certain browsers like Firefox. The images in layers tend to jump around a lot. The website is slidedummy.info. What could the problem be? Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

Please read these threads

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28548
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28542

Your design is very broken in IE7 I'm afraid.

Ricky55
08-14-2008, 11:20 PM
It must be bad in IE 7 because in Safari its broken.

Ricky55
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Corrosive, just been looking at your site, your send stuff bit, how do you set that up I want to do that on a site now.

In particular the but where you can upload a file.

dlaw13
08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, they are much appreciated. And yes, the website is in really bad shape now. I do not understand why it is broken because my companion website (hingedummy.info) seems to be perfectly fine with the same html. Is there anything in particular I should look for on why slidedummy might be broken?

Ricky55
08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Just what I have already said.

Corrosive
08-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I do not understand why it is broken because my companion website (hingedummy.info) seems to be perfectly fine with the same html. Is there anything in particular I should look for on why slidedummy might be broken?

You're right. Hinge Dummy is fine. That's odd. Have you checked all your links to any stylesheets you might have and that all files are where they should be?

Bws2cool
08-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes. Some things like AOL also make things look horrible. xD

Corrosive
08-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Yes. Some things like AOL also make things look horrible. xD

As Ricky said before, different browsers have different ways of displaying stuff. This is the 'headache' designers suffer daily. You might want to look at not using any tables, but build the site with Div Tags and CSS. You are mixing tables and layers at the moment and I'm sure that isn't helping. Tables are an outdated method of building sites.

dlaw13
08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I fixed the problem for the most part last friday. I used the links corrosive sent and figured out there was a missing style sheet. And I see that you even guessed the problem while I was away from the board. Thanks again for everyones suggestions. Just a couple of things to tweak now.

Corrosive
08-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I fixed the problem for the most part last friday. I used the links corrosive sent and figured out there was a missing style sheet. And I see that you even guessed the problem while I was away from the board. Thanks again for everyones suggestions. Just a couple of things to tweak now.

Good stuff. Glad to be of some help.