PDA

View Full Version : Need help please

WBlock
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I had Dreamweaver on my last computer, which I knew enough to be dangerous, add and subtract photos from my wife's website, etc. Then my computer crashed...

Ahhhhh! : /

The guy that set up my new computer put Dreamweaver 8 on and I'm one lost pup. On my last Dreamweaver, the guys gave me to maintain my wife's website, I would open it up and do a few things, then run away because I'm not the brightest candle on the cake in the puter world.

Can someone please help me with Dreamweaver 8?

Simply

1) How do I connect to my wife's website?

2) How do I set up new photos to be uploaded to it?

I use to bring in a folder with photos in it and choose diffrent ones to upload and replace old photos.

Thanks

WBlock

Chapo
08-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok... when you open DW you have a properties panels at your right... just go to Manage Sites and look for your wifes files.. it should have her the Sites Name. You will find their a folder called images (or a folder with images) and then you could replace your photos.

About loading it up to the web... yu have to figure out if DW is doing the upload with FTP or a private server.

Ricky55
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Your first job is to place all the files belonging to the site in a folder with the images inside a separate folder but keep them in the main site folder.

Then you need to define a site in Dreamweaver, before doing this though make sure you have the FTP details, this will enable you to connect to the server where the site is saved.

To define a site go to the panel that Chapo described the one in the bottom left hand side called files. See my attachment.

From the drop down menu pictured in my attachment select Manage Sites,
now select to create a new site.

Click the advanced tab at the top of the window and begin to enter in your details.

You need to:
Give the site a name
Tell Dreamweaver where the folder is where the site is located
Tell it where the images folder is (should just be in the main site folder)
Tell Dreamweaver the web address including http://

Now if you have the FTP details click the Remote Info section on the left
From the access drop down select FTP
Now fill in the details
The host
The login and password

Thats it, come out of this now and to connect to the site click the plug icon again pictured in my attachment.

You should now be good to go.

Get back to us if you need any more help.

domedia
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
DW also comes with a complete manual, help files. At least with technical stuff it's pretty good. The other stuff.. not so good.

WBlock
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all your info!!!:-D