PDA

View Full Version : Hi all at DC

david_uk
08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Another newbie from UK.

I took myself on a two day DW course as I'm developing a Share the Road campaign and needed a basic web presence that looked serious, no gimmicks etc. Critical comments invited on this one:

www.sharetheroad.org.uk (http://www.sharetheroad.org.uk)

I did a bit in FP a few years back so I'm really a complete novice esp to stuff like CSS. I found the hardest thing was learning DW and developing content at the same time (I'm rubbish at multitasking).

I also found templates really fiddly (they weren't covered in the course) so eventually junked them and re-used old pages. Will not be ideal in future I know.

I'm sure I'll have lots of Q's for you experts but just wanted to say Hi.

edbr
08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
welcome to the forum.

davidj
08-12-2008, 08:47 AM
welcome

regarding your site

i suggest you revisit the design.

Its not bad but your being over clean in your design. You need a splash of colour like a banner

david_uk
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
welcome

regarding your site

Its not bad but your being over clean in your design. You need a splash of colour like a banner

Thanks, I tend to agree, I'll work on it.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks, I tend to agree, I'll work on it.

Hi David UK amd welcome to DWC forums. You can get lots of help here.

I know this is really picky but the logos from supporting companies are quite poor quality and you do need a splash of colour. Do you 'Photoshop' at all?

david_uk
08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi David UK amd welcome to DWC forums. You can get lots of help here.

I know this is really picky but the logos from supporting companies are quite poor quality and you do need a splash of colour. Do you 'Photoshop' at all?

Not picky at all. On logos yes, for fast loading I used Paint Shop Pro to reduce their size (where possible) down to the displayed size, between 80 and 100 pixels wide depending on shape, before importing them into DW. Should I have kept the original size?

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Not picky at all. On logos yes, for fast loading I used Paint Shop Pro to reduce their size (where possible) down to the displayed size, between 80 and 100 pixels wide depending on shape, before importing them into DW. Should I have kept the original size?

Could depend on two things. How high the resolution was of the original logo and whether they were gifs or jpegs. gifs tend to break down when resized and jpegs are better. Bitmaps (BMP) files are a definite 'no'. If you ask companies to send you high res copies of their logos they'll usually be happy to do so, espacially in your case where they are supporting something worthwhile.

domedia
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the forums Dave.
What's up with the British Invasion? ;-)

davidj
08-12-2008, 06:35 PM

We are sick of winning medals in the Olympics and have decided to try other extreme activities like web design.

Corrosive
08-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the forums Dave.

The British have always been great at invading. It's a 'tactical withdrawl' afterwards we're rubbish at.

Death Dream
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
welcome

regarding your site

I'm not going to go through and read everything everyone has said, but I will agree with David here. And, as much as I don't want to say this because I hate the color, you should add more pink. It matches the logo at the top. It is nice and clean which is nice but yeah, needs more color.

~Death Dream~

Rob_Che
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
David_UK... put down Paint Shop Pro and step away !
...and welcome of course

Not being scared of white space is good but it needs tightening up.
A colour image background to your header would bring it on i think.
Loads of scope for a landscape, given the subject matter...

You need a splash of colour like a banner

dude... that's so '96! :wink:

davidj
08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/HOFF.gif

Rob_Che
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I imagine you're sat in front of your PC in red trunks David *shudder*