PDA

View Full Version : Blog - WordPress

Blink
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Hey Guys,

First time poster & Dreamweaver user!

Looks like a brilliant community and I look forward to becoming an active member/'noob'!

I am currently in the process of designing a personal website for several things;
Graphic Design
Magic (I am a Semi-Professional Magician)
and a Blog

I have had experiance previously with coding with very simple HTML, VB etc so I have a basic understanding of the language and pick it up pretty quickly. I have also previously built a website, using the freeware system 'Joomla!' but have decided to build this site completely custom so I have much more control.

I am after having a Blog on the website but do not want it looking like a completely different site as you sometimes find with blogs. I also want it to look completely professional, and to have a fairly easy to use user and admin interface.

Is Wordpress able to be used for features such as this?

I attached a document below so you can hopefully understand what I mean. The only section I want to be based around the blog is labelled as such.

Will this be able to be done? And im assuming I would be able to have it within the url 'www.myurl.com/blog.' Also, how is the Admin/Writer section accessed through this? A seperate /blog/admin url or is it accessed through the Wordpress website itself?

Apologies for any confusion caused by these questions or if they have been answered before. I searched and read through a few questions, but was still not 100% clear within this.

I look forward to learning more indepth HTML, Dreamweaver, and all the other wonderful lessons to be learnt about Website design.

Thanks for the reply!
Matt

domedia
08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I am after having a Blog on the website but do not want it looking like a completely different site as you sometimes find with blogs. I also want it to look completely professional, and to have a fairly easy to use user and admin interface.

Is Wordpress able to be used for features such as this?
Absolutely!

Will this be able to be done? And im assuming I would be able to have it within the url 'www.myurl.com/blog.'
You can put it in any directory you want.

Also, how is the Admin/Writer section accessed through this? A seperate /blog/admin url or is it accessed through the Wordpress website itself? Yes, but this is all explained by Wordpress.

What you want to do is install it on your server and check it out.

Blink
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Absolutely!

You can put it in any directory you want.

Yes, but this is all explained by Wordpress.

What you want to do is install it on your server and check it out.
Thanks domedia!

What is the best way to use Wordpress with Dreamweaver? And how is it best to be installed with it?

Thanks!

Death Dream
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Installing it is really simple. Takes like 5 minutes if you have worked with SQL databases before. There is an install guide on their site explaining how to do it.

When it comes to skinning word press, I designed my site first with HTML and CSS. When it was done I started plugging in the PHP code into the spots where they should go. The PHP code is Wordpress's langauge values you will plug in. It's rather simple once you get started. Just harder when you want to do more complexe things. What you have looks easy enough.

Goodluck.

~Death Dream~

domedia
08-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks domedia!

What is the best way to use Wordpress with Dreamweaver? And how is it best to be installed with it?

Thanks!
Wordpress is it's own application. You don't use DW to use it.

Death Dream
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Wordpress is it's own application. You don't use DW to use it.

I don't want to confuse him but I do want to clarify something. Wordpress is it's own application when it comes to publishing info or new's postings, however you want to say it.

You can use Dreamweaver to help you design your layout though, CSS, HTML, PHP side of things. Once you get your design done, you will no longer need Dreamweaver and will do all your publishing inside Wordpress's admin panel.

Dreamweaver = Design
Wordpress = Content Published to Public.

But if you're going to use Dreamweaver to help design you will need a running version of Wordpress up and running as the PHP codes will not work unless you do so.

~Death Dream~

domedia
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Well said Death

Cary
08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
ThemeDreamer (http://www.themedreamer.com/) may be helpful for those designing for several WordPress sites. I've never tried it.

Blink
08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
ThemeDreamer (http://www.themedreamer.com/) may be helpful for those designing for several WordPress sites. I've never tried it.
Thanks all, you have been a great help!

Will post if I need more help, or get lost. And will show my progess!

davidj
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Well said Death

Its like an episode from one of Terry Pratchett books

Death Dream
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Nice find. Still not better then getting a true render in the browser but it can help you point out what php code is what if you don't know what your doing lol.

~Death Dream~

domedia
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks all, you have been a great help!

Will post if I need more help, or get lost. And will show my progess!
Great, keep us updated Blink!

Its like an episode from one of Terry Pratchett books
OT: the book where Death takes center stage is one of my favorite Pratchett books :)

Death Dream
08-14-2008, 03:36 PM
OT: the book where Death takes center stage is one of my favorite Pratchett books :)

Seems I am more well known than I thought XD

~Death Dream~

Corrosive
08-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Great, keep us updated Blink!

Hoggfather or Mort Dom?