PDA

View Full Version : There must be an easy way...

kerrycorcoran
08-07-2008, 03:41 AM
When viewing a site from my desktop all the fonts appear properly. When viewing the same site from another desktop default (system) fonts are used. I assume this is happening due to the fact I have the fonts loaded on my local desktop when build the site; and when viewed from another desktop without the specific fonts the system fonts are put in place.

How can I embed a font into my site? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

africano
08-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Im no expert mate, but I dont think there is a way of embedding a font....I mean you could install that font on your pc but the chance a lot of the people have your font is not big.

The only way I can think of using not the common fonts is via images...I mean if you want your titles to have a specific Font, just use an image...dont know if ya get me....oh well Im no expert!
Hope helps.

edbr
08-07-2008, 04:14 AM
if you do a search on this site you will find this has been discused several times and if i remeber ther is a chart of font files that are default on windows ,linux and macs, if not there are on the the web somewhere.
best as africano says if really unusual fonts is to use images

Corrosive
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
best as africano says if really unusual fonts is to use images

I agree with the lads but don't forget to use alt tags wherever you have images, especially if you have text images such as headers which is fundamental to your content. Helps with SEO, screen readers and, of course, validation.

Don't do all your text as images either. Use them sparingly for effect as Search Engines cannot read text in images.

Ricky55
08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
You can embed fonts but if you are a beginner you may not want to get it to this.

Check out
http://digitalretrograde.com/Projects/sifrFontEmbedder/

It works by embedding the files into a tiny flash swf file I think. Not tried it but some site are using it.

If you want a quicker fix just use an image.

Even better than alt tags is to use image replacement techniques with CSS, at least this way the text is still actually present for screen readers and search engines. For example:

HTML
<h1 class="logo">I am a company logo</h1>

CSS
.logo {
text-indent: -9999px;
background: url(images/text.gif) no-repeat;
}

domedia
08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
You an always do some image replaement tehniques and get the best of 2 worlds.

Example
HTML:
<h1>Welcome to my website with really cool header</h1>

Style:
h1 {text-indent: -5000px; background: url(images/reallycoolheader.gif) height: 50px; width: 300px;}

Ricky55
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Great minds and all that, read my post again.

domedia
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
aye, I was writing my post while you posted yours :)
Great minds do think alike!