PDA

View Full Version : layout design

africano
08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Well ive sort of started making th layout for a new site but its got me a bit confused, so ive decided to go back to basics. Ive made a rough layout of how its going to be. Im planning on using a horizontal Tab menu and Im not sure Whether there should be a space between the menu and the content area? Do you see what I mean(a black space between the menu and the content) currently there would be no space.

Im finidng it hard...not many personal trainer websites out there so if anyone has any ideas, advice design wise pleaseeee let me know!

Here is a link to the BASIC layout.
http://www.elchevirtual.com/index_trainer.jpg

Another issue...what to do with the side bars?? cant think of what could go there....ummm not liking this assignment....:confused:

domedia
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Looks good to me. It's always good to have some margin around your text to give it room to breath in.

Corrosive
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Another issue...what to do with the side bars?? cant think of what could go there....ummm not liking this assignment....:confused:

If you don't need 'em, why have 'em?

domedia
08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
If you don't need 'em, why have 'em?
Exactly.
You have to determine what's going on the website before you make the design for it. Sounds like you're starting from the wrong end.

africano
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah you are probably right..but theres a simple answer to "if you dont need em, them why use em"...simply because at the moment that style of layout is the only one Im comfortable with!
Not a good asnwer i know.

Well know that we are talking about it, would it be possible to get rid of the left side bar and have the content fill that area and keep the right sede bar?

Currently my design is a 3 colum layout.

domedia
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
You starting all wrong.
Figure out your site information architecture and make some wire frames to how you want your information laid out. Remember that the design is there to support the goal of the website, it's not an goal in itself. Making the layout first does not make much sense :)

Corrosive
08-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Well know that we are talking about it, would it be possible to get rid of the left side bar and have the content fill that area and keep the right sede bar?

Domedia is right in what he says. Design around your content, not the other way round. I remember telling you to plan first.

Answer to question is delete the left column div (carefully, don't just go and hack at it!) and then change the % widths on your two remaining columns until you are happy with the proportions and they add up to 100%.

Go and learn loads of layouts becuas elimiting yourself to one is gonna be frustrating.