PDA

View Full Version : Tab Menus

africano
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi, Im thinking of using a Horizontal TAB Menu in my next project(I havent even finished my current projects but Ive been asked to help with a new site and have to keep going)
The only example Ive found is this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/

Im not too sure its the best menu(feels like its a menu for a lot of content which Im not sure Im going to need)

Anybody have experience with these types of menus....css? javascript??

How do you decide what sort of menu to use? do you consult the client? or make up your own decision?

edbr
08-07-2008, 02:32 AM
css, check out csplay(.co.uk I think) for lots of examples

edbr
08-07-2008, 02:35 AM
for a simple tab like your example make a class, display block ,inline,
and define some a tags,a hover

africano
08-07-2008, 02:36 AM
thanks Ed, Ive actually been looking at that page, yeah think Ill manage with the menu...Just not sure what the "usual" is when designing for a client...do you consult them and ask what they prefer or do you just make your own decision based on whats best for the design, and by the way if you have any tips for a personal trainers site...please let me know, cause its turning out to be a real headache...

edbr
08-07-2008, 04:26 AM
clients are like people, almost. If they have strong opinions about there design in the end you can only advise, unless they are asking the impossible. IMHO they are paying so make sure they know it was there choice not yours .
An analogy could be when i was a chef and a customer wanted his steak well done,I would do it even though i feel it's a sad way to serve good product,
on the other hand i know chefs that have refused to do it so i am sure there will be a disagreement here

Corrosive
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
clients are like people, almost. If they have strong opinions about there design in the end you can only advise, unless they are asking the impossible. IMHO they are paying so make sure they know it was there choice not yours .
An analogy could be when i was a chef and a customer wanted his steak well done,I would do it even though i feel it's a sad way to serve good product,
on the other hand i know chefs that have refused to do it so i am sure there will be a disagreement here

I'm going to disagree slightly Ed. Fact is a client has paid you to make a site because you are the expert. By all means give them some options but guide them with your expertise. I don't take my car in the garage and then stand over the mechanic and tell them what to do. I let them get on because they know best.

I'll have my steak medium rare please Ed.

domedia
08-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Many clients like to 'solutionize'.. that's just the way it is.. the perfect client of course comes over to you with a problem, and you create the solution.

africano
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
true...Ive just been asked to help with this project and I guess Im a bit nervouse. ive been asked for a price for the design and the dreamweaver and css work.
Ive asked for 100 euros as I dont think my current skill level deserves more. Im meeting up with them on monday and they given me some of the web map structure and content, so Im trying to get some designs to show em.

edbr
08-08-2008, 02:11 AM
see, whats wrong with blue?
having said all that still moan like a banshee if they dont agree with me :)

Corrosive
08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
see, whats wrong with blue?

That's a bit rare even for my tastes Ed. Why not run a cow past the table and i'll rip off a chunk ? :wink:

edbr
08-08-2008, 07:33 AM
:) beef sushi, all i'd have to do is tear its horns off ,wipe its.. well you get the picture