PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver Forms

guiri
08-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Since the Steak man seems to have his question answered, maybe I can ask in here since this is related.

I'm NEW to DW and don't know jack about it.

Trying to make a form because my hosting company Godaddy screwed my frontpage forms up and refuse to fix them OR use their backups to restore them and IF they do, they want $150. I thought I'd throw that in there because I think it's downright criminal to act like this.

Anyway, I want to try DW because so many people are dropping frontpage, because of the server extensions and so on.

So, I need to make a form that I can upload to the site but dont' know how to tell it where to SEND/email stuff once you hit the submit button...

SIMPLE explanations PLEASE. I'm dumb as hell when it comes to READING instructions and NOT a programmer.

Thanks

George

guiri
08-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Also, is there someone here that would be willing to talk me through stuff over the phone? I don't mind paying but don't have much money, at least not for now.

Thanks

George

edbr
08-05-2008, 03:58 AM
you should start a new thread really george.
were a patient lot here by and large and will help where we can. the best feature of this forum is by laying out problems and geting answers everybody learns using a telephone will not help in giving you code or links.
in Dreamweaver you need to insert form then withinn that form insert form fields, or text areas for more lines (as it were) then a submit button which will send it to a script which will send your mail.

Let me suggest that you try and make the form then post your next question.

domedia
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm NEW to DW and don't know jack about it.
Hi George,
Here's what I would do:
1. Read the help files, and also "Dreamweaver Missing Manual"
2. Find tutorials online, on this site and other websites.

This would help you in your learning curve, you cannot expect to build anything if you don't know jack ;)
Also be prepared to spend some months playing around with this until you get anything decent in place.

Steakaphagus
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi guiri,
As you know, I'm just going through the 'forms process' myself - been spending a while getting my head around it....I'm assuming you are fairly new to forms? Basically from what I have learned, the form needs a CGI script which processes the info from your form and sends this info to the e-mail/s of your choice (clicking 'submit' tells the CGI to do its stuff). The CGI code is a bit beyond me at the mo, but there are loads of sites that offer free scripts to use. Try googling 'basic CGI tutorial' for info on how these work, or 'free CGI scripts' for sites that offer the scripts and basic info.
Once you have made your form, you configure the CGI script to work with it, put the CGI into your server's CGI bin, and apparently 'hey presto'......I'll let you know in a week or so if it really is that easy! ;-)
Steak

Corrosive
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi guiri,
As you know, I'm just going through the 'forms process' myself - been spending a while getting my head around it....I'm assuming you are fairly new to forms? Basically from what I have learned, the form needs a CGI script which processes the info from your form and sends this info to the e-mail/s of your choice (clicking 'submit' tells the CGI to do its stuff). The CGI code is a bit beyond me at the mo, but there are loads of sites that offer free scripts to use. Try googling 'basic CGI tutorial' for info on how these work, or 'free CGI scripts' for sites that offer the scripts and basic info.
Once you have made your form, you configure the CGI script to work with it, put the CGI into your server's CGI bin, and apparently 'hey presto'......I'll let you know in a week or so if it really is that easy! ;-)
Steak

Actually guys, PHP would be better and you'd get more assistance here. Look at www.hotscripts.com (http://www.hotscripts.com) and search for 'form to mail php scripts.

edbr
08-06-2008, 02:34 AM
my old favorite is franks formail, php or perl, very easy to configure

Steakaphagus
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Daft question - I've googled 'franks formmail', and can't seem to find it.....or is that like googling for tartan paint?
Found Matt Wrights formmail - is this the same thing? - I've read that this script has a fair number of security holes?