PDA

View Full Version : New to forum/DW/Web Design

jakc
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi
Im a cartographer (map design) and trying to get into web design (due to web mapping being the new trend in cartography)

I know some basic HTML/Javascript and ive done some VBA/VB.NET so I think ive got a good head for wed development. Im also semi-aware of current web technologies such as AJAX/SPRY, DOJO, etc, but have no idea about using them.

Dreamweaver I have no idea about - doing some googling for tutorials at the moment, might see if libray has book on CS3 available.

Anyhow, ive jumped in already and told a friend that I could help setup a website for his new business - a cafe in northern england.

Hes sent me his logo, menu, and few other bits and bobs and im trying to put together a crude website with all the essentials. I then hope to use this as a template to work around and end up making a really nice website for him (hence joiing this forum for some help/pointers).

So - words of wisdom, guidance, tips, links to good starting guides, etc, please let me know.

:-D

Corrosive
08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Anyhow, ive jumped in already and told a friend that I could help setup a website for his new business - a cafe in northern england.

Hi, welcome to the DWC forum. That's a brave move indeed but I'm sure you'll be fine if you follow the advice and tutorials here.

So - words of wisdom, guidance, tips, links to good starting guides, etc, please let me know.

:-D

OK, don't use tables or frames for your design. Jump in and learn CSS and Div Tags. Tables seem the easy way to start but, believe me, it just makes it harder to move to CSS when you realise that tables are not a good idea afterall.

Try the adobe tutorials for a grounding in CSS

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/

and ask as many questions as you like here. There are some very knowledgable folks on DWC.

Good luck :)

2bz2p
08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Welcome,

I highly suggest posting questions here, because like Corrosive said there are extremely intelligent people here. It has increased my knowledge alot and it is a very friendly place to post and noone will give you a hard time about your questions. I know that first hand lol.

Enjoy,
2b

jakc
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
thanks for the initial pointers.

I know starting from he ground up is the sensible way to begin learning, but id like to download a html template to base my friends site around - This way it will give me something good to work-around and perhaps see how the template is constructed and have a look at the code behind it.

I was aiming to get a site up and running within a week or so, and then concentrate on geting a 2nd phase of the site up a month or so after that.

Any thoughts on using templates and resources to get them from? Take into account that this will be a business website, with only 3 or 4 pages. Might link to Google Blogger as well but thats not relevant here.

Corrosive
08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
thanks for the initial pointers.

I know starting from he ground up is the sensible way to begin learning, but id like to download a html template to base my friends site around - This way it will give me something good to work-around and perhaps see how the template is constructed and have a look at the code behind it.

I was aiming to get a site up and running within a week or so, and then concentrate on geting a 2nd phase of the site up a month or so after that.

Any thoughts on using templates and resources to get them from? Take into account that this will be a business website, with only 3 or 4 pages. Might link to Google Blogger as well but thats not relevant here.

Just type 'free dreamweaver css templates' into Google. You'll find thousands. No harm in starting by pulling apart someone else's work. Good to see how it all works.

jakc
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Just type 'free dreamweaver css templates' into Google. You'll find thousands.

ur right - thanks.
any chance you lot have some preferred sites for css templates that you have bookmarked?

Corrosive
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM
ur right - thanks.
any chance you lot have some preferred sites for css templates that you have bookmarked?

Not really. I think most of us here would start from scratch.

d a v e
08-02-2008, 08:19 PM
there's some open source templates here as an example http://www.oswd.org/

Corrosive
08-03-2008, 06:58 AM
there's some open source templates here as an example http://www.oswd.org/

That's a good source dave. safe and simple designs for newbies, nice one.

d a v e
08-03-2008, 07:40 AM
an additional one here http://www.opendesigns.org/view-designs/

jakc
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks loads for all the links.

Put together a basic website for my friends cafe - Hes having problems at his end with photoshop files and therefore things like the menu and intro page have embedded pictures instead of text.

However, Im begninning to understand tags/css a bit more and have taken advantage of downloading a few templates and ripping them apart.

Also bought the book "DW CS3: Missing Manual"

Gonna read it cover to cover and hopefully come out of it with some good knowledge that I can apply to my job as a cartographer.

Thanks all, im sure ill be back in the main forums.

domedia
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I think buying that book was a good investment :)