PDA

View Full Version : Changing domain name links for my website?

joepipe
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is an easy way in dreamweaver to change all the links for my website from one domain to another and then upload to my server?

I originally had the website made about a year ago but then decided to add some different domains and instead of parking/re-directing them I'd like to host them seperately but have to change the domain names throughout the whole original site.

Thanks in advance.

Corrosive
07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Have you tried Edit > Find & Replace?

joepipe
07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
not yet , would I have to open each html page seperately ? or is there a way to do it through the whole site?

Corrosive
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
not yet , would I have to open each html page seperately ? or is there a way to do it through the whole site?

Not done it in a while but I think you go Find & Replace and then something like 'entire current local site'. It sometimes works but can be a bit hit & miss I'm afraid.

edbr
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
yes thats correct, there is an option box, current doc,folder entire site. It s a useful feature

joepipe
08-01-2008, 02:28 AM
i tried the find & replace for the entire site and it did work mostly but missed a few...no big deal though thanks everyone

Corrosive
08-01-2008, 06:09 AM
i tried the find & replace for the entire site and it did work mostly but missed a few...no big deal though thanks everyone

That's alright, glad it worked. As I said it can be a bit dodgy but it's a good feature.

domedia
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
joepipe, I'm curious on your approach.
Why would you not just redirect the other domains to your main domain?
What you're doing is called Duplicate Content in SEO and all but one domain is going to get penalized in the Search Engines.

joepipe
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I thought about that as well, but here is my dilemma so feel free to give me some advice....I would appreciate it

I use adwords for over a year now and spend about $500 a month. Never had any problems until recently when adwords shut down one of my best keyword phrases saying the quality score was poor. Upon talking to an adwords rep he said they don't like cloaked or re-directed url's.

In my case, when I first opened my website, I originally registered a url with a major city name keyword in it because thats where I do the majority of my business. Then realized that as I do business in my whole province as well (Im in Canada by the way) I need another domain with the province name in it too. So I registered a good domain name with the province keyword in it and I parked the domain so it directs back to my original site. Problem is that when it does that , the original domain name is in all the links and adwords has bots that search the site to look for this. They dont like the ad link saying one thing and then the site links showing something else.

I figure adwords looks as it as a negative thing when your saying in your ad "Hey I do business in this province but when you click my ad my links will all show up as a city" . I guess they are forcing adwords users to be more specific about landing pages, domain names, etc.

Now I have done this "add-on" domain thing with my hosting company and also put "noindex, nofollow" in the index page of the site I have just added so it doesnt affect the SEO for my original site. Hope that works? An SEO hit on my original site would be disastrous and yes I'm worried about it. I would much rather have my parked domains just re-direct, but im in a problem here because adwords doesnt like it.

Any input on this is appreciated, thanks.

Corrosive
08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Joe

This is a really sketchy answer but hopefully someone with some more experience may be able to fill you in, or you can google it. There is something you can do that asks spiders not to crawl your pages in a site. It might be something in the head tags but not sure. Sorry so vague.

Spiderbot advice anyone??

joepipe
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
you mean this?

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

thats what ive done for now....hope it works

Corrosive
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
you mean this?

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

thats what ive done for now....hope it works

Yes, that sounds about right. Don't know how effective it will be.

Good luck Joe

domedia
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
You most likely did a meta tag redirect.

If you do a 301 apache permanent redirect you'll be fine.

If you want to serve 2 different domain names to the search engines, they need to have different content, and no redirect.

joepipe
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
just so im clear on this, is the meta tag with "noindex, nofollow" sufficient on the index.html file or do I have to do the 301 apache permanent redirect? also , you're saying the apache is a redirect, where does it redirect to?

for my purposes right now, I only want my main site in the search engines and no other domains that i've added lately or in the future

thanks again

domedia
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
They are completely different things :)

Here's what you need done:
Other domains, when typed in the browser, needs to go to originaldomain.com

The easy way of doing this is adding your other domains as 'parked domains' in you Control Panel that your host provides you for your originaldomain.com

joepipe
08-01-2008, 10:11 PM
i see what you mean....but the problem is that I cant use parked domains anymore because google adwords doesn't want me to....thats the reason ive had to now use add-on domains and host them in different directories under the main www directory in my account...so for now ive added text to the robots.txt file and the index.html file of the new domains and directories that tells googlebot and other bots not to index, follow, or even look in the directory....im hoping it avoids them trying to index new domains and screw up my main site seo as the content is pretty much identical

believe me , i was happy with my parked domains before....only reason im going through all this is because adwords has changed its policies on parked domains and redirects...

domedia
08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
In that case I would just stop using the additional domains in adwords.