PDA

View Full Version : content page question

logic
07-31-2008, 05:22 AM
It's been a while since I've used dreamweaver and now I'm doing something I've never done. I wanna keep this site simple because there could be a lot of content to work with later on. I want a nav bar and a top bar that never move and a content page in the middle that new pages are loaded into. I can't use framesets because the scroll bar is put inside the frame and I want it centered for larger resolution.

I'd like to make the whole nav bar in flash but I can't find any help on the actionscript to make new pages load in the "content" portion of the page without using framesets., but I can use fireworks, I just don't wanna use the default flash buttons. How can I make a simple page with a nav bar on the left that's always there and a content page on the rite that new pages load into? keep in mind framesets don't work unless i can make the scrollbar for both is on the far right, and I wanna make it as simple as making a page and linking it into the content part, if possible.

lemme know if i need to clear anything up, thanks for any help.

edbr
07-31-2008, 05:36 AM
ok do not use frames as they are not good medicine for a lot of reasons.
check out css and in particular position:fixed: which will keep the appropriate element (div) fixed in position on the screen.

Cary
07-31-2008, 11:54 PM
You might also want to look into using includes such as either SSI or php includes. Then you can have one file for the nav bar, for instance, which is inserted by the server into whatever page one wishes to view. Change the nav bar file and all pages that include it will automatically reflect those changes.

logic
08-05-2008, 05:26 AM
I know a little about templates but I want something even a little more simple then that. I like the includes because I want my top border and left nav bar to be like that. I'd debate building it in flash cuz I'm decent with it but I can't quite make the page any random length we need
top border 200H x 950w
left nav bar __H x 150w
Content __ H x 800 w.

I want to center the total 950w of the page and be able to make it how ever long with the scroll bar on the far right. But the only thing I ever want to load is the content part while having 1 central nav bar file i can edit. with a content 800 wide but how ever long the page or nav bar ends up being.

Is there a simple way to do this? It would be nice to be able to start a blank 800w, make our stuff then link it in. there might be a lot of content so we wanna do folders based on the nav buttons and 1 page in each file with the page the nav button brings up and any content related to that subject and what ever we decide... framesets are so close but the scroll bar being per frame is annoying and turning them off makes it worse...

thanks again for any help and suggestions. Tried to make it as detailed as possible.

logic
08-05-2008, 06:21 AM
I know a little about templates but I want something even a little more simple then that. I like the includes because I want my top border and left nav bar to be like that. I'd debate building it in flash cuz I'm decent with it but I can't quite make the page any random length we need
top border 200H x 950w
left nav bar __H x 150w
Content __ H x 800 w.

I want to center the total 950w of the page and be able to make it how ever long with the scroll bar on the far right. But the only thing I ever want to load is the content part while having 1 central nav bar file i can edit. with a content 800 wide but how ever long the page or nav bar ends up being.

Is there a simple way to do this? It would be nice to be able to start a blank 800w, make our stuff then link it in. there might be a lot of content so we wanna do folders based on the nav buttons and 1 page in each file with the page the nav button brings up and any content related to that subject and what ever we decide... framesets are so close but the scroll bar being per frame is annoying and turning them off makes it worse...

thanks again for any help and suggestions. Tried to make it as detailed as possible.

thinking about framesets I came up with an idea, can I have an index page and put my top and nav bar in and make it so the buttons open a new html page or something I don't know about in the area like a frame set and still have the scroll bar normal, like on these forums. And have links in the content page to link to another content page..

edbr
08-05-2008, 07:02 AM
you seem deternmined to use framesets , i don't think you will get much support and help with them as they are so detested. also does ff support frames? i am not sure but i think not

logic
08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
you seem deternmined to use framesets , i don't think you will get much support and help with them as they are so detested. also does ff support frames? i am not sure but i think not

show me a way to make the scroll bar normal and I'm set (using this site for example how it's centered with a full scroll bar to the right). I'm determined to keep it simple and organized if it ends up having lots of content so I wanna do it right from the start. Framesets are close because part of the point is to keep it simple. I can change my nav bar or the top without changing anything else because the pages load in a specific place. I can make pages off and on an simply drop them in and link them from the nav bar or another page.

domedia
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Framesets are close because part of the point is to keep it simple. This reminds me of the mindset when we built our first website in mid 90'ies. Then after trying to maintain that first website we never tried it again.

Nowadays all the kids start making their first website standards compliant, regular HTML and CSS :)

Corrosive
08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
show me a way to make the scroll bar normal and I'm set (using this site for example how it's centered with a full scroll bar to the right).

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php and http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php

I'm determined to keep it simple

Not with frames you won't

I can change my nav bar or the top without changing anything else because the pages load in a specific place. I can make pages off and on an simply drop them in and link them from the nav bar or another page.

Use a Dreamweaver template (.dwt) file (does the same thing) and use CSS and Divs to make your site.

Corrosive
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Nowadays all the kids start making their first website standards compliant, regular HTML and CSS :)

getting 'down with the kids' eh Ove??

davidj
08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
getting 'down with the kids' eh Ove??

?? << what are those doing

Corrosive
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
?? << what are those doing

The first one is because it is a question, the second is for comic effect.

davidj
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
ah right

must have missed that class

logic
08-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm sure it's obvious my dreamweaver knowledge is limited... to the 2 classes in high school 2 yrs ago... Which was more flash and fireworks then dreamweaver....

Is there a way to kinda work around framesets, like this code in each 1, is there a way to combine the scroll bars like with this:
#Scroller {
position:absolute;
left:100px;
top:50px;
width:250px;
height:150px;
overflow: auto;
background: #CCCCCC;
padding: 5px;
}

any way mod it for each 1.... or is what I'm tryng to do not possible simply put? I'd rather avoid templates as well...

edbr
08-06-2008, 05:13 AM
i am not sure what u want to do really, so this may not be it . try anyway

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
#Div1 {
position:relative;
width:300px;
height:200px;
overflow:scroll;
border:#666666 solid 1px;
}
#Div2 {
position:relative;
width:200px;
height:500px;

}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body>
<div id="Div1">
<div id="Div2">
<p >Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam.</p>
this is in div 2
<p >Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam.</p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

logic
08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
is it possible to load a html page into a divider like that?
I'd make a simple index.html with my nav and top on it and have links that load specific .html files (or something else I can edit and put links to other content pages) if possible...

edbr
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
is it possible to load a html page into a divider like that?
I'd make a simple index.html with my nav and top on it and have links that load specific .html files (or something else I can edit and put links to other content pages) if possible...

this is again about using frames, loading other pages into 1 index page. if you so want to do that go for it , just dont understand why

logic
08-08-2008, 04:58 AM
this is again about using frames, loading other pages into 1 index page. if you so want to do that go for it , just dont understand why

Like I said fames are close but do not work unless some one can help me fix the scroll bar. I'm not sure how much more specific I can get. A simple yes or no is what I'm after. Can I make 3 framesets with 1 central scroll bar on the far right like this site? (except this site doesn't use them)

We'll be putting tons of content up and we'll be working on portions of the content before we post it. We wanna be able to make a content page look the way we want it and simply link it in when were ready. While having 1 central nav bar html and a top html, avoiding templates to keep it simple. We aren't worried about how it looks or flows we'll get to that later, I just want to have the simplicity of what I'm tryin to do. Every1 tells me framesets suck and they will if i can't figure out the scroll bar issue, I'm here for help tell me why just don't tell me how much you people hate them please.

edbr
08-08-2008, 05:24 AM
no then unless you learn some css

Cary
08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Can I make 3 framesets with 1 central scroll bar on the far right like this site? (except this site doesn't use them)

Nope. Can't be done.