PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem/Safe mode doesnt work

africano
07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
My friends laptop starts up but gets stuck at the desktop wallpaper. it shows nothing else, no icons, toolbar, etc.
I tried to start the pc up in safe mode but it also gets stuck with some writing, and does nothing else.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and a solution? I thought about entering in Safe mode and doing a system restore...but it doesnt load up in safe mode:(

davidj
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
i think your going to have to install from scratch

sounds like its goosed

Corrosive
07-29-2008, 07:33 PM
i think your going to have to install from scratch

sounds like its goosed

Yep, that's had it...REINSTALL TIME :(

2bz2p
08-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Personally I would beat it with a bat, but re-installing it is the right way to go :wink:

Bownik
08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Stick a copy of windows PE in there and check all your start-up files. It is hanging on a process. Start it Safemode with VGA. It shouldn't hang at all. If not start pulling hardware out if you can like modems, nic cards, sounds cards, until you only HD MB and RAM if it works then you go a hardware conflict issue. So much more stuff you can do before you reload. Take your time and read.

davidj
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
id prefer to just reinstall

Corrosive
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
id prefer to just reinstall

And me, but then that's my answer to all my IT issues :wink:

Bownik
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Well if you answer is to reinstall then I might have 2 suggestions for you which will save hugh time.

First create a windows machine and then install VMware in it. Then create a Virtual machine and log into that one. Only update the host machine and patch it. DONT use it for anything other than updates and patches. The Virtual machine is your workstation. That way if stuff goes bad you just install a new Virtual machine. TA DA all done with like 5 minutes. (also you can run other versions of Linux and stuff for testing and fun)

Second is what I do, Just clone your hd every weekend to another HD. That way if anything goes bad you only lose one week. OR you can put the back in the machine WHILE you work on the bad hd.

Lots of ways to keep your stuff working without reinstalling all day long.