PDA

View Full Version : Talk football anyone?

Muz
07-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Hi. Anyone here watches football or follow the EPL? Anyone? Helloooo! :-D

Corrosive
07-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi. Anyone here watches football or follow the EPL? Anyone? Helloooo! :-D

Yes, of course. It will turn into a slanging match though :wink:

Who do you follow??

davidj
07-27-2008, 09:35 AM
soccer ball

how do you play that

Muz
07-28-2008, 12:47 AM
I follow Liverpool FC!. Well alot of my family members followed Manchester United. Only a handful follow the Kop. And you corrosive? How bout you david?

edbr
07-28-2008, 01:10 AM
david is a fan of Jackie Milburn and my football coach was Geoff Urst for a short while

davidj
07-28-2008, 07:05 AM
the toon

www.nufc.com (http://www.nufc.com)

Corrosive
07-28-2008, 08:42 AM
I follow Liverpool FC!. Well alot of my family members followed Manchester United. Only a handful follow the Kop. And you corrosive? How bout you david?

I'm a Gooner (Arsenal fan). I've got quite a few mates who follow Liverpool and know a couple of Manu fans as well.

domedia
07-28-2008, 01:21 PM
I used to watch.. when I lived in the old country.. first was a fan of Tottenham, then Man United.. my basic cable has no football on it.. which teams has Norwegians players now?

Corrosive
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I used to watch.. when I lived in the old country.. first was a fan of Tottenham, then Man United

Not really the way it works Ove...you kind of have to pick a team :wink:

which teams has Norwegians players now?

Not as many now. Solskjaer left Manu a couple of years ago. John Arne Riise has left Liverpool for Roma and I'm not sure if Morten Ganst Pederson is still at Blackburn Rovers or not?

Apologies for any bad spelling of names there Ove!!

domedia
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Not as many now. Solskjaer left Manu a couple of years ago. John Arne Riise has left Liverpool for Roma and I'm not sure if Morten Ganst Pederson is still at Blackburn Rovers or not? Dug a little..
Both Erik Nevland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Nevland) and Brede Hangeland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brede_Hangeland) plays for Fulham. You're right that Morten Gamst Pedersen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morten_Gamst_Pedersen) is still at Blackburn Rovers (he's from northern Norway as I).
And don't forget John Carew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carew) who plays for Aston Villa,

Corrosive
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd forgotten Carew is Norwegian...

Slightly off thread Ove, but I once had to drive German and Norwegian heavy metal bands around in a minibus (long story) but the Germans described Norway as 'the dark side of Europe' when we told them we were going to collect Pagan's Mind. Any reason that Norway is 'dark'?

My Mum and Dad have just got back from Norway and they loved it. They have a thousand digi photos of boats going up and down fjords! Lol.

domedia
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Slightly off thread Ove, but I once had to drive German and Norwegian heavy metal bands around in a minibus (long story) but the Germans described Norway as 'the dark side of Europe' when we told them we were going to collect Pagan's Mind. Any reason that Norway is 'dark'? Hmm the only thing I can think of is our dark metal bands... not big in Norway by any means, but a small group of Norwegian bands lead the black metal scene for a while with burning of 1000 year old stave churches and murders within their ranks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_black_metal

Corrosive
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
burning of 1000 year old stave churches and murders within their ranks.

That might well explain it then! Pagan's Mind were really nice guys as it turned out.

Muz
07-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeap. pick a team. so which one?

anyways, you're an arsenal fan eh corrosive? so what are your views on wenger. you know, i think he's done a fantastic job last season even after henry left. now, they've aaron ramsey and samir nasri right? it's interesting to see arsenal this season. liverpool have got robbie keane. the only well accomplished payer. kinda frustrating actually in the transfer market.

Corrosive
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeap. pick a team. so which one?

anyways, you're an arsenal fan eh corrosive? so what are your views on wenger. you know, i think he's done a fantastic job last season even after henry left. now, they've aaron ramsey and samir nasri right? it's interesting to see arsenal this season. liverpool have got robbie keane. the only well accomplished payer. kinda frustrating actually in the transfer market.

We've just bough a 21 year old from Werder Bremen today as well. Wenger makes some strange decisions sometimes...William Gallas as captain was one but he has brought quality football and silverware to Arsenal since his arrival. In general 'In Arsene We Trust'!

Looks like Liverpool have to sell before they can buy anyone else. Who else would you like to see come in?

Muz
07-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Talking about Gallas, I still remember last season where he sulked in the Birmingham match. I mean no offense but really, that isn't a quality skipper. But arsenal do have really talented youngsters. and when i say talented, i really mean talented.

yea they really do need to sell. they wanted to sell alonso for barry but to be honest, i prefer alonso relly. who would i like to see come? wingers! we need wingers badly. someone like joaquin or quaresma. but if silva, from valencia comes in, i'll be really really really happy. =)

Corrosive
07-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Talking about Gallas, I still remember last season where he sulked in the Birmingham match. I mean no offense but really, that isn't a quality skipper. But arsenal do have really talented youngsters. and when i say talented, i really mean talented.

yea they really do need to sell. they wanted to sell alonso for barry but to be honest, i prefer alonso relly. who would i like to see come? wingers! we need wingers badly. someone like joaquin or quaresma. but if silva, from valencia comes in, i'll be really really really happy. =)

No offence taken, Gallas is a great defender (pace, power etc.) but he is no captain. He's too unstable. The worst thing he did at Birmingham last season, with Eduardo having that horrific injury, was to attend a photo opportunity at half time...when our young players (and yes they are talented) really needed a captain.

Liverpool do need wingers but surely you bought Pennant, Banayoun, Babel etc. to fill that role and none of them worked out. You play Kuyt on the wing now!

Muz
07-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Haha. Exactly. Strikers turn wingers. Djibril Cisse was played on the wings too a few seasons back. And now kuyt. good thing that he was professional about it and don't go around sulking like what cisse did. and voronin too, i noticed rafa played him on the left sometimes.

pennant and benayoun are fringe players. on and off. we need someone consistent. u know, im really a fan of hleb. but he shipped off to barca right? i like those kind of players who are relatively unknown and make an impact in one the world's top league.

so who do you like to see coming in to arsenal? and do you think gallas should continue as captain this season?

Corrosive
08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Haha. Exactly. Strikers turn wingers. Djibril Cisse was played on the wings too a few seasons back. And now kuyt. good thing that he was professional about it and don't go around sulking like what cisse did. and voronin too, i noticed rafa played him on the left sometimes.

pennant and benayoun are fringe players. on and off. we need someone consistent. u know, im really a fan of hleb. but he shipped off to barca right? i like those kind of players who are relatively unknown and make an impact in one the world's top league.

so who do you like to see coming in to arsenal? and do you think gallas should continue as captain this season?

Yeah, shame about Hleb leaving but hopefully Walcott can shine for Arsenal and England. I would like Toure to be our captain. He deserves it.

Do you get a lot of Prem games where you are?

Muz
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Well yeah we do. in Singapore, we have cable TV which we need to subscribe. Then we have ESPN, SuperSports, StarSports. Im not sure whether these channels are the same as the one u have there. Then we have "Football Channel" and it's solely dedicated to prem games live. Of course the other channels air them too.

But the time here is different of course. We are 9 hours ahead if Im not mistaken. So some games that's played evening there, will be aired late here. Especially if it's a Champions League game. I'll have to wake up at 3 in the morning to catch 'em. Usually i'll only do so if it's a Liverpool game.

Corrosive
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Well yeah we do. in Singapore, we have cable TV which we need to subscribe. Then we have ESPN, SuperSports, StarSports. Im not sure whether these channels are the same as the one u have there. Then we have "Football Channel" and it's solely dedicated to prem games live. Of course the other channels air them too.

But the time here is different of course. We are 9 hours ahead if Im not mistaken. So some games that's played evening there, will be aired late here. Especially if it's a Champions League game. I'll have to wake up at 3 in the morning to catch 'em. Usually i'll only do so if it's a Liverpool game.

Hmmm, still sounds like you get to watch more Premiership games than we do.

Because they want people to keep going to the matches and funding the players massive wage demands, no 3pm Saturday games can get shown. We get a programme on Sky called 'Soccer Saturday' where for five hours you watch ex professionals and managers watch games on little monitors and tell you what is happening.

Mad huh? The really sad thing is, if it's a Saturday and I've nothing better to do, I'll watch the whole thing from 12pm to 5.30pm

We do get all the Champs League games though so that's good. Question for you Muz is 'Liverpool, top 3 this season or no?' :wink:

domedia
08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Because they want people to keep going to the matches and funding the players massive wage demands, no 3pm Saturday games can get shown. U-uh.. sounds like communist China.. You really can't see Premier League live on TV?

Corrosive
08-09-2008, 10:27 AM
U-uh.. sounds like communist China.. You really can't see Premier League live on TV?

We get to see games on TV on Sundays and Mondays and maybe a lunchtime kick off on Saturdays but, no, we don't get to see any live Saturday afternoon games at all. We have extended highlights of games on Sky and, of course, Match of the Day on Saturday evenings. A lot of pubs have links to foreign satelite stations to show Sat afternoon games but I think it is illegal with financial penalties if you get caught.

I think the comparison to China stops there though. Did you see how amazing the opening ceremony in Beijing was? The London Olympic bid team must be sh*ting themselves because they'll never be able to do anything like that.

davidj
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
ahh

your forgetting our synchronised Knife Wielding Youths. Thats impressive

then we have Vicky Pollard's doing the synchronised Pram Dance

Then there are images of fiddy cent created by Dole'ies holding up thousands of benefit cheques at once

For demo sports...

Chewing gum scrape off

Spot the meter square free of dog shit

Spot the underage alcohol drinker

cut the Charlie with shit without being detected

biggest hooped earing contest

snorting greeners and then spitting them the furthest

see who can scam the most benefits in one household

to save money we don't have to setup an athletes training camp we just give them a Wii Fit

see if you can beat that Chinese nation!

domedia
08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
A lot of pubs have links to foreign satelite stations to show Sat afternoon games but I think it is illegal with financial penalties if you get caught. This is where communist China starts! ;-)

Corrosive
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
ahh

Then there are images of fiddy cent created by Dole'ies holding up thousands of benefit cheques at once

For demo sports...

Chewing gum scrape off

to save money we don't have to setup an athletes training camp we just give them a Wii Fit

Absolutely priceless! LMFAO. Nothing more to add DJ, you've covered everything :lol:

Corrosive
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
This is where communist China starts! ;-)

History may disagree Ove but you're probably right.

domedia
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm being a little sarcastic I know... I don't think it's illegal per se, but I think the football interests just want to maximize their money, like you said :)

Muz
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Guess you're right.

Anyways, Liverpool fans have been suffering the taunts for not being able to win a Premiership title for quite some time from Man U fans and Arsenal fans *points at you*. haha.

So i really hope this is their year. the sad thing is, i've been hoping for this to happen for the past 8 seasons or so! sad... i'll say this season, yes. a top three finish for us. =)

and yeap! the opening of beijing olympics was fantastic! the fireworjs were superb and the performance was really original. cool sh**.

edbr
08-12-2008, 01:55 AM
ahh

For demo sports...

Chewing gum scrape off

you would love Singapore, David
dropping chewing gum, cigarette butts, dog crap all have huge fines and offenders have to do community service street cleaning, and drugs. well Asia has a strong answer to that.
sounds harsh but Singapore is a great place to visit.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 06:04 AM
the sad thing is, i've been hoping for this to happen for the past 8 seasons or so!

Yeah, and the rest Muz. 1989 last time you won the league? I shouldn't laugh cos we are in REAL trouble this season. Our squad is rubbish. People said we would struggle last year but I thought we'd be ok. I think we're going to struggle this year :(

Muz
08-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Yea! I thought so too. Last year you did alright. In fact more than alright. You guys did fantastic until that period where you guys slumped abit. And you guys finished above us!!!!!

Anyways, this season's probably the real test. No hleb, no flamini, lehmann's gone and a few youngsters in. interesting.. write to wenger and suggest a couple of players. Lol.

And yea, we haven't won the league since the 80s. i don't know if the players in the squad are title winning squads. this year hopefully could be our year. hopefully, the key word there.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Yea! I thought so too. Last year you did alright. In fact more than alright. You guys did fantastic until that period where you guys slumped abit. And you guys finished above us!!!!!

Anyways, this season's probably the real test. No hleb, no flamini, lehmann's gone and a few youngsters in. interesting.. write to wenger and suggest a couple of players. Lol.

And yea, we haven't won the league since the 80s. i don't know if the players in the squad are title winning squads. this year hopefully could be our year. hopefully, the key word there.

You guys will do better than us this season but Chelski and Manu will fight it out for the league again. Wenger is looking at a 24 year old Swiss defensive midfielder...I guess that's experienced in his book. Just hope he's not the midfield equivilent of Phillipe Senderos :( .

Muz
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Haha. Right of course! Senderos, a real shaky defender and is really inconsistent. When he first came up into the Arsenal first team, i thought this guy would be some defender, one of wneger's polished gems. he's got the presence and all, but i was wrong.

speaking of chelski, thanks to abramovich, the world of football has turned into a money making avenue. dont you think so? people are now buying clubs and the sad part, they take loans to buy them. one classic example is our american owners. sheesh! promise this and promise that. oh well.. in a way we benefit it too but i doubt the long term plans.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
the world of football has turned into a money making avenue. dont you think so?

I agree, but football, like any other business, has to make money or you get no investement at all in grass roots or young talent. If big clubs didn't make s then the rest of the leagues would wither and die. If new owners genuinely love football and they want an investment without being too worried about large returns then I guess it's OK. It's easy to blame Chelsea and Abramovich but believe me when I say that, had Abramovich not stepped in, there would be no Chelsea football club. Things had got that bad at Stamford Bridge. What is a shame is the kind of people who now go to football. Corporates etc. The 'working man' is priced out of the game or they have to make many sacrifices to afford a season ticket. That's why the atmosphere is crap at grounds nowadays.

Muz
08-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Well said. Yea at one point in time, during the ranieri era at chelsea, they were in deep sh**. debts all over and came their savior by the name of roman! paid off the debts and added some revenue for the club to spend. okay, for abramovich, i think he's passionate about winning trophies with chelsea. but then again, with trophies come big revenues as well so in a way, abramovich is in a winning situation should chelsea wins big trophies and competitions.

unlike the liverpool owners. i think they do mind in getting the returns back. they are investing too, sure, but im sure they are not as passionate as roman is. i mean, its pretty clear isn't it? to make matters worse, the relationship between hicks and gillet were strained a few months back and everything seem not to be fine back then. so i feel that's the difference. between chelsea's abramovich and the american owners of liverpool.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Well said. Yea at one point in time, during the ranieri era at chelsea, they were in deep sh**. debts all over and came their savior by the name of roman! paid off the debts and added some revenue for the club to spend. okay, for abramovich, i think he's passionate about winning trophies with chelsea. but then again, with trophies come big revenues as well so in a way, abramovich is in a winning situation should chelsea wins big trophies and competitions.

unlike the liverpool owners. i think they do mind in getting the returns back. they are investing too, sure, but im sure they are not as passionate as roman is. i mean, its pretty clear isn't it? to make matters worse, the relationship between hicks and gillet were strained a few months back and everything seem not to be fine back then. so i feel that's the difference. between chelsea's abramovich and the american owners of liverpool.

Don't be fooled by Abramovich Muz. The money he invested in Chelsea is on the balance sheet as a debt. If he get's bored then he can pull his money out and ask for what he has spent back. Not a lot of people know this. At least with Hicks, Gillet and the Glazers they have secured the money as loans from banks whi will want to see a return, so they are more tied to their clubs than Abramovich is to Chelsea. One day the Chelsea bubble will burst and they will be left with a massive wage bill and still only getting 45,000 into the ground each week.

Muz
08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Really? Well i didnt know that. so abramovich can be the bad guy at chelsea anytime he wants? lol. if that's the case, i think its safe to say, chelsea's future is entirely in abramovich's hands right? i cant imagine that day happens. abramovich suddenly says, "alright, that's enough. i want nothing to do with chelsea now." BAM! chelsea gonna have a garage sale!

but then again, i hate the idea of having loans tied to clubs. it's pretty not fair dont you think so. in a way clubs benefit also yea.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
i think its safe to say, chelsea's future is entirely in abramovich's hands right?

You'd better believe it. Makes the transfer of Schevchenko (spelt badly, I know) seem even more crazy!

Muz
08-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Yea. Here in Singapore, we have the annual "Great Singapore Sale" where malls and stores all over the country will be having a sale. I wonder when will the "Great Chelsea Sale" come. That'll be really interesting.

I know it's crap, but it'll be really funny to see the likes of shevchenko or cole or drogba, playing for mid table clubs. and the transfer yes! really on a sale! lol.

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Yea. Here in Singapore, we have the annual "Great Singapore Sale" where malls and stores all over the country will be having a sale. I wonder when will the "Great Chelsea Sale" come. That'll be really interesting.

I know it's crap, but it'll be really funny to see the likes of shevchenko or cole or drogba, playing for mid table clubs. and the transfer yes! really on a sale! lol.

And their players will be too old to get decent money for. At least if that happened to either of our clubs we've got some good, young talent to balance the books.

Muz
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
oh yes exactly! and if that happened to your arsenal, damn! i bet they'll survive. just take a look at their young talent.

liverpool well okay. some from the reserves and youngsters bought. but i do respect wenger and his eye for spotting and nurturing young talent. a friend told me that before he came to arsenal, he was from a japanese club? is that for real?

Corrosive
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
a friend told me that before he came to arsenal, he was from a japanese club? is that for real?

Yes, that's right. You can imagine what we all thought when this guy turned up at Highbury. French, wearing glasses, looks like a half man/half bird type creature and from a Japanease club. We thought David Dein had gone mad.

Still, won the double in his first full season and we have never looked back. I actually think our stadium repayments are stopping us from spending big on players. I've just read Manu have put in a bid for David Villa but he'd rather go to Barca

Muz
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeap. They are still funding or paying for the emirates which is why their funds are restricted. wenger needs to sell before he can buy big.unless he can work his charm of nuturing young players from their youth ranks, season after season.

villa news! manu bid for villa? bad news for us. he'd rather head to barca? good news. i really thought that villa would head to liverpool at some point in time a few weeks back. but after keane arrived along with french dude, david ngog, i suppose the strikers department in liverpool are closed.

Muz
08-19-2008, 05:44 AM
so we both got off to a good start in the new season. both 1-0 victories. samir nasri scored on his debut for u guys.

an gem in emirates maybe?

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 06:17 AM
so we both got off to a good start in the new season. both 1-0 victories. samir nasri scored on his debut for u guys.

an gem in emirates maybe?

Hopefully a gem. Yes, it was good to start with a win but both our teams looked poor. Chelsea were awesome. 3rd & 4th for us again I'm afraid Muz.

Muz
08-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Nooooooooo!!! Lol.

Yea I have to admit we were poor. I really liked how Arsenal played with their passes all so precise and crisp. But there weren't as sharp when delivering that final killer blow. Same goes for Liverpool. We didnt create alot of cler cut chances at all.

Hopefully, its just the "start-of-the-new-season" jitters. Heh.

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Nooooooooo!!! Lol.

Yea I have to admit we were poor. I really liked how Arsenal played with their passes all so precise and crisp. But there weren't as sharp when delivering that final killer blow. Same goes for Liverpool. We didnt create alot of cler cut chances at all.

That's our major issue. We don't have killer instinct...but what do you expect from 19 - 21 year olds. I didn't at that age. I think we'll both do OK but don't expect the league for either of us. :(

davidj
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
howay the toon army

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
howay the toon army

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20080210/12/2931647111-soccer-barclays-premier-league-aston-villa-v-newcastle-united-villa.jpg

Greatest fans in the world :wink:

domedia
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
That must be DJ's three older brothers!

davidj
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
three younger brothers

im 40 today

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 06:42 PM
three younger brothers

im 40 today

Happy Birthday DJ.

davidj
08-19-2008, 06:51 PM
cheers

just treated myself to a breitling airwolf

bling bling

domedia
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Happy birthday! Finally growing up ;-)

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
cheers

just treated myself to a breitling airwolf

bling bling

Sorry, had to Google that. Nice watch. 8)

davidj
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQqrMBzbYQ

the packaging alone was ultra bling

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQqrMBzbYQ

the packaging alone was ultra bling

Nice. Timepiece porn :)

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I bet your first watch was a Casio one for 99p and 6 tokens from an Esso petrol station. Mine was :)

davidj
08-19-2008, 07:20 PM
mine was a throwaway

my mate had one of the first digitals with huge red LCD which you had to press a button to read

in the 70's !

Corrosive
08-19-2008, 07:27 PM
mine was a throwaway

my mate had one of the first digitals with huge red LCD which you had to press a button to read

in the 70's !

Nice :) .

I am 32 so more of an 80's child (and 90's and 00's...will I ever grow up?). I remember being very proud of my Casio watch.

Corrosive
08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Nooooooooo!!! Lol.

We bought Silvestre from United today. Might be the experience and cover we need in defense. Just a solid midfielder now and we might be OK. Just a week to go in the transfer window Muz. Who are Liverpool going to buy?

Muz
08-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Happy Birthday David!! Lol. Kinda slow here.

Anyways, I read the papers last week and there were rumours that Liverpool are "interested" in Joe Cole. Now that would be nice, if here ever comes to Liverpool. But the probelm is that he'll cost more that Barry. I never neard of that rumour since that article i read.

We need wingers really. We missed out on Bentley, who went to Spurs. David Silva from Valencia is one more prospect. I hope they buy some quality player. And quick!