PDA

View Full Version : Fluid or fixed css page???

confucious
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi all - originally I built a page using only Ap Div's but have since found this is not so hot an idea. Now I am looking into starting over with a css layout and am curious about peoples preferences for fluid or fixed. Here are some questions I have (hope they are not too simple;):

What is easier and more suited to a novice building an image-heavy ecommerce site - fluid or fixed layouts?
when building a fluid page, do any Ap Div's used (ie: images with header and links) distort or have any odd behaviour when the resolution changes?
when building a centered fixed page, are Ap Div's prone to migrating or do they stay where placed no matter the resolution of the users monitor?PLease throw any and all advice, dislikes, likes aboutfluid and fixed in here- anything helps!

THanks all.
L

domedia
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
What is easier and more suited to a novice building an image-heavy ecommerce site - fluid or fixed layouts?
No difference as far as I know
when building a fluid page, do any Ap Div's used (ie: images with header and links) distort or have any odd behaviour when the resolution changes?
Images should always be set with a width and height so they will not be distorted.
when building a centered fixed page, are Ap Div's prone to migrating or do they stay where placed no matter the resolution of the users monitor?
I think we're getting to the core here :-) You need to practice both techniques a little, bith liquid and fixed width, then you'll see that the question does not make much sense. An absolutely positioned element will always be absolute to what you set it to be relative to.

Liquid vs fixed; you'll find that some people like the one and some people like the other. But you really need to get your feet wet before you can make your own decision. Why don't you start to make a centered fixed website and see where that takes you? There's no 'one better' way for you since you obviously don't have any experience with either.

confucious
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
If Ap Div's always stay where you placed them, are there any problems/drawbacks to using them within a css layout (say header/footer and 2 columns) in order to structure ones images and text within each Div tag? I am trying to wrap my head around the do's and don't's and pro and cons of Ap Div's and css before I build a page so I don't end up with something that is fundamentally flawed (though I am sure it will be that way anyway...hehehhe).

I have a lot of literature (which I am reading) but while the books are informative they don't always answer the questions I have, and often miss out entirely on practical complications in design.

As far as I'm concerned, Ap Div's seem like a GOdsend, but I think they look too good to be true...if they were as good as they seem anyone could build pages (or lots, at least).

I am getting my feet wet and while it is obvious I know nothing am learning loads!!, Though frustrating it is still fun:) Lucky I have no real deadline for this project!!!

Ariel
07-25-2008, 02:00 AM
confucious, I am new to all of this also. But from what I have run across there may be two problems with AP. One is that the container (page) is not centered in the browser window and you will have to do a little work-around to get it to be centered. There is a tutorial here about how to do this. Also, if you use text sizes that are proportional, for example ems or %s instead of pxs, the text may "blow" out of the container, if a person changes the text size in their browser to a larger point size.

In saying all of this, I, too, love layers (AP). It is just plain fun to move them around, but I'm afraid we have to bite the bullet and use html styled with CSS instead of AP. :)

ETA: My site uses a fixed layout because I wanted some control over the design, but if a site where the placement of design elements wasn't so important and there was a lot of text, I would probably do a fluid layout. Just as dom said, I would play around with both.

domedia
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
If Ap Div's always stay where you placed them, are there any problems/drawbacks to using them within a css layout (say header/footer and 2 columns) in order to structure ones images and text within each Div tag? There are drawback, but those are specific to the context. The only way to wrap your head around this is to get your feet wet. :)
One is that the container (page) is not centered in the browser window and you will have to do a little work-around to get it to be centered. I wouldn't call this a "work-around". This technique is one of the most widely used CSS approaches.

It is just plain fun to move them around, but I'm afraid we have to bite the bullet and use html styled with CSS instead of AP. :) "Absolutely positioned" is HTML styled with CSS.

Ariel
07-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't call this a "work-around". This technique is one of the most widely used CSS approaches.*shrug*
"Absolutely positioned" is HTML styled with CSS.Sorry, I was thinking of AP in terms of layers.