PDA

View Full Version : Submitting a form

cathy36
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi, I'm having some trouble with submitting a form in dreamweaver- the code i have got is not working. Heres the code:
<tr>
<form
action="mailto:cathymcgurk@yahoo.co.uk (cathymcgurk@yahoo.co.uk)"
method="post"
enctype="multipart/form-data"
name="EmailForm" id="EmailForm">
<br />
<center> <b> <i> First Name:<br /> </center> </i> </b>
<center> <input type="text" size="30" name="firstname" /> </ center>
<br />
<br />
<center> <b> <i> Surname:<br /> </center> </i> </b>
<center> <input type="text" size="30" name="surname" /> </ center>
<br />
<br />
<center> <b> <i> Email Address:<br /> </center> </i> </b>
<center> <input type="text" size="30" name="email" /> </ center>
<br />
<br />
<center> <b> <i> Contact Number:<br /> </center> </i> </b>
<center> <input type="text" size="30" name="contact" /> </ center>
<br />
<br />
<center> <b> <i> Enquiry:<br /> </center> </i> </b>
<center> <textarea name="enquiry" rows="4" cols="30">
</textarea> </center>
<br />
<br />
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="Submit this Form" />
</form>
</tr>

Could someone please help me on this?

Thanks

davidj
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
not sure if this is the problem but your table is invalid

you need some (at least one) <td></td>

cathy36
07-23-2008, 11:06 AM
i am very new to all of this so excuse me when i sound stupid but where could i include them in the actual form?
I've got them in other places on that webpage.

Sorry

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Errrm, Cathy. You do know that Dreamweaver won't set up a form 2 mail script for you, don't you? DW will create the form elements (text boxes, file uploads, submit button etc.) but it won't complete the script required for the form to actually work.

I only ask because some time ago I thought DW did it for you, but found out it was a lot more complicated than that.

edbr
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
make a form, insett a table and then add form fields to each cell (as you want) of the table

davidj
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Errrm, Cathy. You do know that Dreamweaver won't set up a form 2 mail script for you, don't you? DW will create the form elements (text boxes, file uploads, submit button etc.) but it won't complete the script required for the form to actually work.

I only ask because some time ago I thought DW did it for you, but found out it was a lot more complicated than that.

Corrosive

if you add a mailto to a form action it envokes your mail client i think

davidj
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
cathy

you need to study the basics of HTML and understand how a table is constructed through code view

cathy36
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah i knew it didnt complete it- i thought the code i entered in at the start would cover it tho.
Do you know any sites that could help with the extra code?

oh and Thanks for your quick replies

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Corrosive

if you add a mailto to a form action it envokes your mail client i think

You are absolutely right DJ but often it is expcted that the form will do all this in the background, like a php server side script would do. This method still needs the user to actually send the e-mail. In my view you might as well just have a mailto: link and then ask people to send a regular mail.

davidj
07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
yes i agree

i would never use this feature but its a means of getting form data to an end user in an uncomplicated manner.

The web is a wonderful thing regarding design and implementation and the fact that you cant really tell if your browsing a corporation site or a one man band site.

Using such features , to me is like leaving evidence around who you actually are. Without knowing who your dealing with you can get an idea by certain clues. By implementing the site correctly i think you can pass your self off as someone bigger than you actually are but its easy to get it wrong

email links that invoke your client is a bad point and screams armature. You need a form handling script.

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 12:47 PM
yes i agree

i would never use this feature but its a means of getting form data to an end user in an uncomplicated manner.

The web is a wonderful thing regarding design and implementation and the fact that you cant really tell if your browsing a corporation site or a one man band site.

Using such features , to me is like leaving evidence around who you actually are. Without knowing who your dealing with you can get an idea by certain clues. By implementing the site correctly i think you can pass your self off as someone bigger than you actually are but its easy to get it wrong

email links that invoke your client is a bad point and screams armature. You need a form handling script.

With this in mind Cathy, you might ask a programmer to build one for you or try a premade at www.hotscripts.com (http://www.hotscripts.com)

edbr
07-24-2008, 01:32 AM
try franks form mail. mailto will attract spammers with like honey to a bee

davidj
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
or newcastle brown to a geordie

edbr
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
see yers doon the club, like!!