PDA

View Full Version : Can you CSS a scroll bar

2bz2p
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

So I have a text box that is used to control the size of text, in example, its a description of the aircraft and I did not put a limit on how many characters must used in doing so if someone put a 350 character description together it throughs the layout off. What I did to counteract this was I put the description in a text box and set it to 3 rows by whatever the col was. I then made the background transperant and the border 0 using the style attribute inside of the textbox tag. What I am wondering is if you can use css to change what the scroll bar looks like, say (since the box is so small it doesnt have the bar in the middle of the up and down arrows) make the light grey bar transperent and just have the up and down arrows.

Thanks
2b

Corrosive
07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes, try this...

http://websitetips.com/articles/css/scrollbars/

Hope it helps

Corrosive
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Sorry, should add to that it is only in IE as far as I know. Most browsers will default.

2bz2p
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Thats odd isnt IE the one that prevents all these cool things not FF and others.

Thanks for the reply
2b

domedia
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Form elements and scrollbars are not considered 'cool stuff' that they're letting webdesigners play around with ;-)

2bz2p
07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
They should give us webdesigner full control :)

Corrosive
07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats odd isnt IE the one that prevents all these cool things not FF and others.

Thanks for the reply
2b

Look at the history of Microsoft. BG made money by Microsoft being the only ones who will do certain things. That way they have built a virtual monopoly. FF etc. try and stick to strict CSS definitions, which is better for web designers, but IE goes out on a limb with some stuff. There is more than one way for Microsoft to skin your cat :wink:

domedia
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Sometimes full control is impossible. Look at how the checkmark in a checkbox looks on various browsers, then think about what padding means for each of them, especially when the checkmark goes outside the borders of the box. Also look how file upload form elements can look completely different. In these cases noone is going to let a webdesigner screw it up.
Just playing devils advocate, you know ;-)

Corrosive
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Sometimes full control is impossible. Look at how the checkmark in a checkbox looks on various browsers, then think about what padding means for each of them, especially when the checkmark goes outside the borders of the box. Also look how file upload form elements can look completely different. In these cases noone is going to let a webdesigner screw it up.
Just playing devils advocate, you know ;-)

You are right, but sometimes it's frustrating. You put a form in a nice traditional looking website (for an old hotel or something) and then Safari for the Mac puts ultra-modern looking buttons in your contact form. Vice-versa you build a hi-tech, ultra modern site and then IE puts a circa 1998 buttons in your contact form, that's annoying as well.

I am not easily pleased, am I??

2bz2p
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Thats funny I was only being sarcastic about the full control, though I can definately see everyones point. Each browser does have their own way of doing form objects and I can relate to corrosive about the design situations.

Thanks
2b

davidj
07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Web Designers need sharp objects removed from the toy box or things get broken

You wouldn't give a 5 year old a grenade to play with would you!

designer.... >>> Err the sites broken

developer ...>>> what did you do

designer...>>> nothing

designer...>>> nothing

designer...>>> err only removed one of those squiggly things as it was in my way and was making my CSS look untidy

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Web Designers need sharp objects removed from the toy box or things get broken

My toybox is always empty as I hve usually chucked the contents on the floor having been upset by programmers.

You wouldn't give a 5 year old a grenade to play with would you!

F**k yeah!

The trouble with programmers is the only way they have of making the world look pretty is to hand paint whatever rock they crawled out from underneath. I think this makes them bitter and twisted individuals with the social graces of an American Wrestler :wink: .

davidj
07-23-2008, 02:11 PM
my rock is a nice hue of Dusky Apricot

you and your man bag (and jeans that sit below your sphincter) can pop round and have tea with mr and mrs pain! You can have some violent quiche

2bz2p
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
So after reading all of that, we now feel that we are schizophrenic, considering on my project I am the designer and the developer..........

Can we please have the Grenande now ....................

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
my rock is a nice hue of Dusky Apricot

Nice shade dude!

violent quiche

You must let me have the recipe :lol:

I guess I must face my fate at the hands of Mr & Mrs Pain then...clutching my manbag for comfort and desperately trying to run away in my 'low slung' jeans.

...at least I will die with my boots on8-)

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
So after reading all of that, we now feel that we are schizophrenic, considering on my project I am the designer and the developer..........

Can we please have the Grenande now ....................

Dude, you have issues :wink:

2bz2p
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Dude, you have issues :wink:

No comment :-) ....walks back to the corner of the round room..

Corrosive
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
No comment :-) ....walks back to the corner of the round room..

I have two words...therapy. :wink:

davidj
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
two words

man bag

Rob_Che
07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
3 words... GET . A . ROOM !

davidj
07-30-2008, 07:11 PM
i have a ROB doll which im currently sticking pins in

2bz2p
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
3 words... GET . A . ROOM !

I heard the ones with the heart shapped bed and jacuzzi are nice!!

davidj
07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
thanks 2bz

i got an image

2bz2p
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
here you go! 8-) Heard there in really fancy hotels lol

*had to go small I dont have much space for pics*

doh! thought you needed an image sorry :)

davidj
07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
oh you need a bat across the back of the head

thats all i need

actually thats pretty much what my image looked like

2bz2p
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
:lol: You know thats the second time to today someones threaten me with a bat. :-)

Corrosive
08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
:lol: You know thats the second time to today someones threaten me with a bat. :-)

Was the first one Ozzy Osbourne?? :lol:

davidj
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
is that a bat with or without a head

2bz2p
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
with a head and a side of bacon, for ozzy of course