PDA

View Full Version : dynamic site - PHP, Coldfusion, etc???

confucious
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
HI all - I have a question about making my site dynamic. I am completely new to this kind of thing and am aware there are a few options out there for me in regards to making it dynamic. I am looking to create a database in order to edit a large e-commerce site more easily, ie: through a web-page inventory control system. My question is:

For someone completely unversed in this, what is the most realistic, simple, yet effective tool to use - Coldfusion? PHP? SQML (did I get that right?).

Would love some input from all!

THanks. Lawrence

davidj
07-21-2008, 05:21 PM
no matter which option you go for its going to take time to get your head around it. This is programming and that requires a level of understanding

If your working to a deadline i advise you get someone in to help but if this has no real tight completion date then i suggest giving PHP a try. Check out my tutorials in my signature

Ricky55
07-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Coldfusion is not as flexible as PHP but is easier to learn.

davidj
07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
like alego set with afew bits missing

stay away from it mainly because your new to it and you'll need all the suport you can get and PHP has alot more out there

domedia
07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Coldfusion is not as flexible as PHP but is easier to learn.
This is my understanding as well. Their tag system is built for human understanding. I also think they have decent support forums, but if you're in it for the long run it's probably better to learn a regular programming language like PHP.

confucious
07-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for your replies guys. I have looked into things and decided I have enough on my plate at the moment. I'd rather do one thing well than two miserably ;) Hopefully, in time, I can make it dynamic retroactively...until than I will edit through Dreamweaver.

Cheers :)