PDA

View Full Version : Help with comments

JoshH
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Pardon me I am a real Newbie...

I have Dreamweaver CS3 and I am trying to design a website that also allows comments. I have my site looking the way I want, Now I would like for people to be able to post comments about my content.

I would really love for the site to allow people to have a user ID and Avatar (picture of anything they want) without creating a new account each time they come to the site.

Can someone please give me a step by step explanation on how to do this in Dreamweaver??

Cary
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately, what you're asking goes beyond just using DW. You're going to need to learn how to have the server create cookies and sessions using PHP or ASP.Net. You can learn about PHP from the tutorials section here.

You can go different routes in so far as you may decide to do everything from scratch, or you may want to use some ready-made dynamic website solutions such as a bulletin board or blog where you tweak things to your liking.

Your web host may already have bulletin board software on your server which you need only activate and personalize. Something to check into.

Corrosive
07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Pardon me I am a real Newbie...

I have Dreamweaver CS3 and I am trying to design a website that also allows comments. I have my site looking the way I want, Now I would like for people to be able to post comments about my content.

I would really love for the site to allow people to have a user ID and Avatar (picture of anything they want) without creating a new account each time they come to the site.

Can someone please give me a step by step explanation on how to do this in Dreamweaver??

Cary is right, this is quite advanced what you are asking. If you want a 'ready made' solution try this... http://js-kit.com/

It's plug and play, easily styled with a couple of CSS tweaks and the support forum is pretty good.

Read their Ts & Cs and make them available on your website (through a link maybe) cos it may not be suitable for all your users.

Cheers

JoshH
07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Quote of Cary:
"Your web host may already have bulletin board software on your server which you need only activate and personalize. Something to check into."

That is a great idea. I have not chose a website host server company yet. That is one of my next steps. Does anyone know of a host company that offers this comment feature and lets people comment back if someone comments on their comment, kind of like this:

Robert: That was a nice story.

Sam: Yeah, I like the part about the dog.

Robert: That was my favorite part too!

Susan: Great article.

Ray: I like this site!

Alan: What do you like about it?

Ray: Just about everything!

Dave: Yeah Alan, I know what you mean.

etc.

If anyone knows of a website hosting service that offers this type of comment format that would be ideal!

Thanks for your help.

Josh

JoshH
07-24-2008, 05:20 AM
OK, the that did not post like I wanted it too. I typed it out differently.
Each time someone replied to a comment from someone else it was supposed to indent a tab space. Only if it was a reply to another person's comment. Otherwise a new comment that was not a comment on someone else's comment would be left justified. If it was a comment on a comment it would be indented.

Does anyone know of a hosting company that offers this format of commenting.

Thanks.

Corrosive
07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
OK, the that did not post like I wanted it too. I typed it out differently.
Each time someone replied to a comment from someone else it was supposed to indent a tab space. Only if it was a reply to another person's comment. Otherwise a new comment that was not a comment on someone else's comment would be left justified. If it was a comment on a comment it would be indented.

Does anyone know of a hosting company that offers this format of commenting.

Thanks.

Josh, I don't work for them...honest! But that is exactly what js-kit does. See my last post, but here is the link again.

http://js-kit.com/

Your site will need to be hosted for it to work though.

Also, lots of hosts offer built in scripts nowadays. You must check yourself if they have the features you need but try a host offering Fantastico and see what scripts you get with that.

edbr
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
its basically a bulletin board, there must be bucket loads bulletin out there,
google 'bulletin board scripts', then uyou wont be limited to hosters with fantastico